New Lounger
    Thanks

Dual internet connections (Win XP Pro)

I would like to setup my lap top so that I can plug it into my office network and my home cable modem. Is there a way in which I can setup my lap top to auto detect where it is connected?
    Thanks,
    lchaffinii

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual internet connections (Win XP Pro)

Yes and no. Everything depends of your networks configuration. If both have no domain, use TCP/IP protocol and assign IP addresses automatically, you have nothing to setup. If they use different protocols, or at least one of them has domain, you must create different profiles.

To create a hardware profile

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1. Open System in Control Panel.
    2. On the Hardware tab, click Hardware Profiles.
    3. Under Available hardware profiles, click Profile 1 (Current), and then click Copy.
    4. Type a name for the new hardware profile, and then click OK.
    5. You can customize your new profile by enabling or disabling devices for that profile in Device Manager.

Notes
    - To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    - The profile named Profile 1 (Current) provides a model for you to create new hardware profiles. It will not appear in the list of available hardware profiles shown during startup.

You can name profiles as "home" and "work", for example. Configure each profile for network connection.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual internet connections (Win XP Pro)

I found this very easy. My connection at the office uses DHCP. When I connected to my home network, I looked in the network connection tab for the office connection, and under TCP/IP properties, there is a tab called "alternate configuration" I set this up for 192.168.123.4 for my home network, and it works now fine on either network.

A new profile was not needed.