Lounger
    Thanks

Printing format markers (Word 2000)

Is there a way to print format markers? I am a software instructor and it would be easier if the students could print the documents so I could see the formatting (tabs, hard returns, spaces, etc).

Thanks

Re: Printing format markers (Word 2000)

There is no easy way to do this. The closest to easy is to turn on display of formatting characters, set the display to "Full Screen" and then press the Print Scrn key. This will copy a picture of that screen to the Clipboard. Open a new (blank) document and press Ctrl-V to paste. That will give you something that can be printed.

This is far from perfect and would have to be done for every screen in the document, but it is the quickest way.

Otherwise, you can do a macro that replaces(supplements) the non-printing formatting characters with printing characters but it is rare that you get a real match, because the presence of these extra characters changes the formatting and spacing. Lines wrap in different places, etc.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've done a utility that will convert spaces to a visible character, tabs, to four spaces and a marker for tab, and will place the paragraph character at the end of each paragraph. You can toggle back to normal.

The attached is a template you can put in Startup.

A new item will appeara on the Format Menu -- Toggle Non-Printing Visible...

It does effect formatting a little. But it works and can be modified.

It will
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Nice work. I've made a couple of adjustments. First, I added a custom toolbar to hold the command (as well as the command on the formatting toolbar) because that way the command can be moved to a different global template using the organizer.

Second, where you said "visible" I changed it to printable, since they can be made visible using the view menu.

Third, I added a note to your userform that this involved a replace and that a backup might be in order before doing it.

Would you be OK with my posting this on my downloads page? (see below)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Feel free to post at your downloads.

And feel free to modify to your hearts content -- just keep a not somewhere that I started it...