Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Files (XP Pro Version 5.1)

Hi. I was using 'Windows Explorer' the other day to organize the folders in 'My Documents'. I created a 'My Files' folder under the 'My Documents' folder and then attempted to move 2 folders, 'Personal' and 'Real Estate', from 'My Documents' into 'My Files'. While I was attempting to move 'Personal' into 'My Files', I got a message that certain files could not be moved because a program was using it. So I closed all the programs I was using and attempted to move 'Personal' into 'My Files' again. This time a got a message saying a certain file in 'Personal' already existed in 'My Files' and should I overwrite. I clicked 'Yes to all' and proceeded to move 'Personal' into 'My Files'. Yesterday, when I tried to open a document stored in 'Personal' folders, the folder was empty. All the files in the 'Personal' folders are gone! These were Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, etc. files. I checked out the 'Recycle Bin' and the files are not there. I also did a file search of my entire hard disk with the exact names of the missing files but came up empty. I did a 'System Restore' but the files are still gone. I don't know what else to do. Are the files permanently erased? Or, is there still a way to recover the missing files? Please help.

Henry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Files (XP Pro Version 5.1)

Hencap,

I can't really tell you if your files are anywhere you can retrieve them. If they are not in the recycle bin I doubt it unless some utility like Norton's can find them. However, for future reference, Windows XP's system restore has let me down. After the first time this happened I purchased and installed Roxio's GoBack and it has never once failed me. IMO it is much better that XP's restore and you don't have to tell it to create a restore point. It is automatically done for you. You will be offered many "system safe points" to which you may revert your hard drive.
    H Lewton

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Take note that "Windows XP's system restore" will restore the systems files and settings, it has NOTHING to do with personal data. It was NOT designed to and will not backup any of ones data.

That said the ONLY sure method, is to control you own backup and place the blame where it belongs, on the user.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't know that. I am a back up fanatic myself. I probably back up much more than necessary. I assumed "System Restore" functioned as Goback which is what I was familiar with. Now that you point it out it becomes all too clear, "System Restore" means just that. I guess it just restores the system files as you say.

I appreciate your telling that, thanks very much.
    H Lewton

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both for posting a reply.

Dave, I know it's my fault. What I need is a solution. Is there a way out of whatever it is I have done?

Henry

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thjis is from the help of XP Pro. Read the NOTES section about personal data.
    ================================================== =========
    System Restore overviewSystem Restore is a component of Windows XP Professional that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail). System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files, and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time.

Notes

Restoring your computer does not affect or change your personal data files. For information about backing up personal data files, see Backing up files and folders.
    For an overview of the other recovery technologies provided with Windows XP, see Recovering Your System.
    For more information about System Restore, see Understanding System Restore.
    ================================================== ============================

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.