Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just curious (Any Version)

Just curious.

Does anyone know why a lot of, if not most, ISPs support Outlook Express and not Outlook? Other than the obvious that Outlook Express may be more readily available and, as far as I know, slightly less complicated, are there any valid reasons for them doing this?

They usually only help you setup your accounts anyway and that is only slightly different menu items that you must select to do this. So unless I
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Just curious (Any Version)

It's all about money. When they say "support" they mean the "supported" programs are the only ones their techs will waste time helping users configure.

They only "support" a few clients since they are the first ones called when something goes wrong. They can't be experts in all versions and clients and need to limit it to the most popular and free email programs.

Outlook has too many versions and modes, although most of the menus are similar. They also don't support pegasus, the bat, becky... most support only OE, Netscape and Eudora, although some are beginning to drop Netscape and Eudora from the supported list.

*Any* pop client will work with a pop server, if the user knows how to set it up, whether or not it's listed as a program the ISP "supports". The user is on their own, or need to contact the programs support department when they have problems setting it up, not the ISP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Just curious (Any Version)

MaryJ,

Thanks, I guess support ain't what it used to be or what one might expect.
    H Lewton