New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Compatability Options

There seems to be what I believe to be a misconception about Word 97 at my firm: that is that if any format other than Word 97 appears in the Recommended options for: drop-down list in the Options, Compatibility tab it means that the document is not in unadulterated Word 97 format; it's been "infected" by bad formatting elements from another document format (e.g., WordPerfect).

As I understand it, the Compatability options tab just allows you to display text as it would appear in other applications. Am I right?

KTYorke

Re: Word Compatability Options

If you right-click on the drop-down list... I quote the "What's This" explination:

"Click the word-processing program for which you want to set display options. To specify your own set of options, click Custom."

From this explanation, I think you win the bet but I'm sure some of our other local Word masters here will be able to explain why with a little more authority...[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

have fun

Thanks

From the Word 2000 Help files:
    Note Changing the options affects only the display of a document while you're working with it in Word. It does not permanently change any formatting in the document. If you later convert the document back to its original file format, the formatting appears as it did before you converted it to Word.

From the Word 97 Help file:
    Note Changing the options affects only the display of a document while you
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi David:

Well, you're sorta both right. Here is an article describing compatiblity options in a little more detail than you get get from clicking the question mark on the dialog box.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q166/0/16.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q166/0/16.ASP</A>

When you open a document, Word tries to guess the application that it was created in & suggestions options for displaying the document. So, yes, the compatibility options let you display the information in such a way as to distort the origninal document the least amount. Since it "detects" the original, there will be a reason why Word suggests certain options. It can be changed, however, so that the mere fact that options exist doesn't mean the document wasn't created in Word 97.

I find it a little misleading when it says the document is not changed permanently. You can change it back, but for instance, by selecting or deselecting "suppress extra spacing after hard page break", you can affect the number of pages contained in a document. You might also affect what's left at the bottom of a page. To me, that's as permanent change as any other editing. The file itself will not be changed if you open it again in the original document, except to the extent that conversion back & forth may lose some formatting or cause some corruption.

Hope this helps.