Lounger
    Thanks

Database Security Question (97)

I have setup user level security on one database. This database is used to input data via input forms. Before I had this security user would add data in datasheet view. They also like to make their own queries from time to time. I won't let them do this in the database now so I was trying to think of a way to allow this. I was going to make another database and link all the tables from the original(/with security) then I was going to grant the users only Read access to the data so that nothing could be changed. This does not work. The users can still change the data because they have read, write , delete access to the tables in the original database. Does anyone have a solution to this problem.

In the second database I want users to be able to create queries off of the tables, but I don't want the users to be able to change or and any data from the datasheet view.

thanks dgw

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Database Security Question (97)

You need to use "Run with owner permission" queries in your main database (i.e. set the Run Permissions to "Owner's" rather than "User's" when you set up the queries) and do all your modifications via those queries. Give the users read-only access to the tables themselves, but read-write access to the RWOP queries.

That way, since the links will be to the tables rather than the queries, your users will be able to read but not change the data via the linked database.

Lounger
    Thanks

Is there any documentation that I can read about RWOP queries? Where can I find examples of RWOP queries?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the online help look at runpermissions. It's rather brief but if my memory serves I believe there is something in the security white paper on the MS site as well.

Lounger
    Thanks

Douglas,
    I have set up the RWOP queries. I gave users read permissions on the Table and read, write, delete on the query. I wne to Tools->Options and set the Run Permissions to Owner. When a user logs in and opens the Form it gives an error. "Run-Time Error '2105' You Can't go to the specified Record. You may be at the end of the recordset." I have it set that when the form loads it is ready for input(at the end of the recordset). I wont let the user and a new record. They get the same error every time. When I login as admin it works fine!
    Thanks
    DGW