3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why is slide show viewed differently? (PowerPoint 2000)

I'm a bit confused. I have created several PowerPoint presentations where the slide takes up the whole screen. My students have just created several where the slide also takes up the whole screen. However, there is one presentation that does not. I see a taskbar at the top (File, Edit, Browse, Window, Help). I see the toolbar at the bottom of the screen, and the indications Slide Show # of 12 and Default Design right above the toolbar. What is it that I do not realize? The slide show plays fine by clicking on the right arrow. What would cause this one presentation to have a different look? Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Why is slide show viewed differently? (PowerPoint 2000)

Ah, students... they find lots of ways to mess things up. There are actually two way to view a presentation: full screen and in the powerpoint window. Some one has probably added a view slide show in a window button to the toolbar. Try using the Tools | Customize menu, Toolbars tab, then select each of the toolbars in turn by clicking on the text of the toolbar (not the checkbox). After selecting a toolbar, press the reset button. Now run the presentation. If this dosn't work, post back and answer the following questions:
    Are you sure that is it just this presentation, or is it every presentation on this computer?
    If you move the presentation to another computer, does it still play in a window?
    Is there any VBA code or macros in the presentation, especially code like .Height = or .Width= or
    <pre>With ActivePresentation.SlideShowSettings
    .ShowType = ppShowTypeSpeaker
    With .Run
    .Height = 300
    .Width = 400
    End With
    End With</pre>

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for replying so quickly. The same thing happens when I run this presentation on another computer. I see what you mean about the button that says Slide Show In a Window. I clicked on this button with a another presentation, one that had played full screen. It now plays in a window. To solve the problem, I opened a blank presentation and did Insert>Slides from Files.
    One question, does the reset button bring back the toolbars to factory default settings? Would I lose any customizations that I had made?
    Thanks again.
    Alan Silberlight

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm just wondering if my above response is in error. The Slide Show in a Window button allows you to view the Slide Show in a window. However, what I had was a slide show that could be viewed only in a window. I did not have a choice. Therefore, was my thinking incorrect? How can one create a slide show that can be viewed only in a window? Thank you again.
    Alan Silberlight

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think that I now have the answer. After the presentation is created but before it is saved, one can follow this procedure:
    Slide Show
    Set Up Show
    Presented by a speaker (full screen) OR Browsed by an individual (window)
    File
    Save

Once it is saved, it is viewed in the format selected. One can always change the format temporarily or permanently by saving it again.

Thank you, again, Sammy. My student is not sure how this happened but I believe that it had been saved this way inadvertently. In any case, I learned from this because I was never aware that a presentation could be viewed this way.
    Alan Silberlight

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thank-you for all of the great detective work. Glad I could get you started. --Sam

BTW, the Reset button puts things back to "factory" defaults. It's the last resort, but often necessary. If only PP had the equivalent of Normal.dot, we would all be happier.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>