4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing Mystery?

Hi,

In the Explorer Browser on the Address Bar - when clicked produces a history of URLs visited.
    One user on our office LAN showed me an entry which had a hand icon but no address!

It was the same hand icon used by Windows to show a folder has been shared.

My questions are:

1. What does this mean (i.e. icon with no address by it)
    2. How did it get there?
    3. How can I delete it?

Pls. advise!
    Thanks,

m.q.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing Mystery?

Hi -

I don't have much of an answer for the first two questions (I've never seen it), but the third I might be able to handle.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerTyped URLs contains the list of typed URLs for Internet Explorer. The bad part about this is that you can't just delete that one from the list and be done with it. The numbering wouldn't work in that case. IE doesn't seem to keep an index or anything, but as soon as IE finds an item that's not in order, it stops listing. So if you delete url1, then you won't get anything. If you delete url27 (whatever the last one is), then you'll get everything except that one. If you delete url13, you'll get url1-12 and everything higher will not show up in the list.

The result of all this is that if this item is at the end of the list, or if you don't need to the end of the list, you can delete those entries without a problem. You may want to remove these entries while you have IE closed down, and restart afterwards. You can also renumber the entries if you like and it should work. The numbering simply determines the order which the records show up in the list.

You can also clear that information entirely through the registry or other options.

If this is in regular Explorer (not IE), you might want to try and disconnect any network drives (Tools->Disconnect Network Drive). It might indicate a file share that's unable to map for some reason. System logs might be able to help determine this cause.

Hope this helps.