4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Templates losing keyboard shortcuts?! (2k/XP)

Hi,

When we make MSWord Templates & ship them around, users complain that the ShortCut Keys don't work!

Why do the DOT files seem to lose them? How can I fix this problem automatically & not need to use the "Organizer" to manually transfer the Styles?

Help! Thanks.

m.q.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Templates losing keyboard shortcuts?! (2k/XP)

Please excuse me if I'm pointing out the obvious.

When you create shortcuts, macros, styles and toolbar buttons, always be very careful where you store them. By default, in my case at least, Word always wants to store them in Normal.dot. To store them in another template, you have to select the template explicitly.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi m.q.:
    How are your users creating their files? If you ship templates, shortcut keys in those templates that are assigned to various functions will work UNLESS the user has specifically assigned those keys to some other function in nomal.dot OR if it conflicts with an attached template.

Also, the styles in your shipped templates will have NO affect on existing documents or on documents that are based on other templates. They will ONLY affect new documents created from those shipped templates unless you do something to copy their styles to a document (of which the Organizer is one of several ways).

Thanks

You can't use the Organizer to transfer shortcut keys. You need Chris Woodman's Shortcut Organizer for this.

I've never had a .dot file lose its shortcut assignments. I have saved them in the wrong file by mistake. There may be Add-Ins out there which override them but I'm not aware of any. It should be hard for them to do.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin