2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Superscript in TOC (W97)

I have a Word document with a TOC built from heading styles. The first character in one of my headings is a superscript. When I generate the TOC, the numbering in the TOC for that entry is also superscript. Anybody know a way around this?

See attached document for example.

TIA

Beej
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Superscript in TOC (W97)

Close, but not quite. The formatting applied to the heading text should be superscript, and it is. The heading number (1.1 in the example document) shouldn't be superscript, but it also is.

But the knowledgebase topic DID teach me the CTRL-Spacebar trick, which will get me around the problem temporarily.

Thanks

Are you saying that the superscript formatting of part of the first character in the heading is sort of bleeding over and affecting the formatting of the preceding outline numbering in the TOC? That's bad. Sounds like a bug.

What happens if you place a non-superscripted space prior to the superscripted character in the heading and apply the hidden attribute to it? Does the TOC behave any better?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson:
    I get the same thing in Word 2000. I know that Word takes direct or character formatting & applies it to the corresponding part of the TOC. If it's the first character of the heading, it seems to affect the numbering format of the TOC. I found this to be true if I applied italics, etc. to the first character. I agree that it sounds like a bug, but one that MS doesn't want to correct.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exactly. The formatting of the first character in the TOC entry bleeds "backwards" into the number of the TOC entry.

Great minds...I tried putting a space in front of the TOC entry and formatting it as hidden, and it didn't work, because the hidden character doesn't display in the TOC.