Lounger
    Thanks

Contacts Notes Field Cuts Off in the Middle (OL98 NT 4.0 Exchange)

Notes field (the text box at the bottom of the form) in Contacts truncates in printing. Where it truncates depends whether or not you apply a filter to the view before printing (Card Style print format). If no filter, Outlook prints more characters of the Notes field than if you have ANY filter on. However, some of my Contacts have extensive Notes fields and I have been unable to find ANY method, except printing them one at a time, which will print the entire Notes field (at least up to two pages worth, the longest one I could find to test). One at a time is no good for a filtered list with hundreds of Contacts. I want to print a filtered list with the entire text of all Contacts' Notes fields showing. Any idea where this parameter is set? First posted this almost a year ago. No responses, except one person who also has the problem. Still interested if anyone out there knows anything about this.

Thanks

Re: Contacts Notes Field Cuts Off in the Middle (OL98 NT 4.0 Exchange)

The field's cut off seems to be around the magic number of 255 characters, which is similar to the maximum length of a text field in MS Access. I'm not sure that you can exceed that number with any gymnastics unless you program around it yourself. Maybe with a Merge to Word?

Lounger
    Thanks

What's a "merge to Word'?

Thanks

I've never done one, but open your Contacts folder and choose Tools|Mail Merge... in Outlook and explore your options. There might also be some helpful posts in the Lounge on this.

Lounger
    Thanks

I must seem very dense, but my Tools folder in Outlook is only concerned with features like setting the format of my emails. Mail merge is not one of the tabs. What do you mean "Contacts folder"? I displayed the Outlook folders and clicked on the Contacts one. However, the Tools offerings from the menu did not change.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

does the amount of text/size of field in the display affect how much is printed?

Also - i thought printing was subject to some of the same limitations as exporting, and only 256*x char were printed?

Lounger
    Thanks

As I said in my original post, the only thing I have found that affects how much of the Notes field is printed is filters on the list. For example, if I print my entire contacts list unfiltered I get more of the Notes for each entry than if I print just the contacts in the Human Resources category or just the contacts updated in the last month. When the entire contents of a contact's Notes field is printed, Outlook prints <end> at the end. When the field is truncated, this is missing. This behavior leads me to think there is a "number of characters to print" value somewhere that is modified based on the filters Outlook detects. I thought if I could find that location, perhaps I could increase that value.

Thanks

Sorry, I'm using Outlook2000 (in Corporate Workgroup Mode). Outlook98 was somewhat less full-featured in its integration with Office, and that could explain the difference. Rather than merge directly from Outlook, then, you might have to (1) first export the contacts to a suitable format that Word could merge into a "catalog"-style merge document, or (2) connect to the Contacts folder from within Word's merge wizard and see if the notes field is accessible.