Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exiting out of IE6 (Internet Explorer 6)

Something odd seems to have just started happening when I am in IE6. When I click the 'x' box at the top right corner to exit out of IE6, there is a delay of at least 5 to 10 seconds before the browser window actually closes. Has anyone had such an experience? Any suggested fix?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Exiting out of IE6 (Internet Explorer 6)

Do you have any setting and/or third-party history cleaner which is emptying your cache etc. when you quit IE?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am not happy that I upgraded to IE6. Whenever I close out of IE6, after about 15-20 seconds I ALWAYS get a message that an error has occured & would I like to report it to Microsoft. It also has a box to restart IE6 checked. I am frustrated by having to deal with this. This process even interrupts the Shutdown process.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not only do I have the problem exiting out of IE6, but I also have the problem with getting the same error box, and it bugs the crap out of me, and is very frustrating. Is there something wrong with my computer? Is there something wrong with the OS (WXPro)? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif -- I don't have any 3rd party software you've mentioned except what IE comes with.

Thanks

When the window for the report to MS comes up, does it offer to show you what info it is going to send?
    (Untick the re-start box if you don't want it to.)
    Are you logged in as Administrator? - does it happen if you use a different profile?

New Lounger
    Thanks

My home computer is set up for 2 users - myself and my roommate. Neither on of us is the administrator. So I guess there is really 3 users - Admin, myself & "John". Both John & I get those annoying IE6 messages when we exit out of IE6 - whether we are just "logging off" our account or trying to "shutdown". I've even tried to re-install IE5.5 but the system will not let me do this as it says "Have found a newer verision of IE. Unable able to proceed." or something like that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for everyone who has replied to my post with suggested solutions. However, I'm not sure I was clear in articulating my issue: When I am running IE6, it takes my machine approximately 20 seconds (or more) to actually exit out of IE6.

If I have 2 or more IE6 windows up and running, every other window except the first window closes instantly when I hit the upper right hand "x" box. However, when I go to close out the final IE6 window, it pauses, like I said, for about 20 seconds (like its hanging, or thinking) and then exits out to my desktop.

I do not get an error message or anything like that. Anyone have a suggest fix or perhaps just an explanation as to why this is happening? Please advise.

Thanks!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure you haven't got Proxy Server settings enabled (Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings). If so, try disabling for its effect.