Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Copying (Office 2000 SR1)

In Word 2000, if I right click within a document there is no
    H Lewton

Thanks

Re: Copying (Office 2000 SR1)

It should be possible to add Select All to the menu, but right-click-left-click probably is slower than Ctrl+A.

Regarding the clipboard commands, the right-click menu should mirror the Edit menu. If Copy is grayed out on the Edit menu, Word will not display it on the right-click menu. What would there be to copy if you were to right click on some unselected text? You probably would have to do some programming to give Word the intelligence to copy what you want (e.g., the word, the paragraph, etc.), and hook that up to the menu, rather than use the built-in copy function.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jscher2000,

First off, thank you for your reply.

the right-click menu should mirror the Edit menu. If Copy is grayed out on the Edit menu, Word will not display it on the right-click menu. I agree but here is what is happening. On the
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think "Select All" is not in the context menu by design. The context menu is meant to show actions that are appropriate for the selection that you right-click (the "context"). Actions like Cut, Paste, Font... and Paragraph... are all appropriate to selected text (or an insertion point). But Select All doesn't apply to a selection; it applies to the whole document.

If you still want Select All in "the" context menu, be aware that there are in fact many different context menus - for ordinary text, headings, fields, table cells, etc. You'd have to modify each of them to get consistent behavior - a lot of work!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

Thank you. If
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you really want to place the command on the context menu, you can. I think Ctrl+A is easier, but it's a matter of personal preference.

1. Right click a toolbar & choose customize...
    2. On the toolbars tab, scroll to the bottom & tick "Shortcut Menus"
    3. Click the commands tab & then the Edit menu.
    4. Under commands, look for "Select All"
    5. On the shortcut menu, click text & then click text near the bottom of the list. A menu will open up.
    6. Now left click & drag the "Select All" command to the menu where you see cut, copy, & paste.

Save the changes in your template. This will put the select all command on the context menu for ordinary text.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Thank you very much for your instructions. I believe I followed them precisely and will use them to select and copy this into Woody
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you recall, Hans told you that there were a number of different context menus. I gave you the most frequently used one for text. However, there are dozens of shortcut menus, depending upon what you're doing at the time. There are table shortcut menus, list menus, etc. You could put select all on more menus, but I doubt that it's worth it.

Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Thanks. I agree with you and I even reverted my machine to a time before I followed your step by step directions because it seemed to cause other problems that I didn't want to deal with.

Thanks again.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

your process can be shortened a little. Instead of steps 3,4,5 (so shortcut toolbar is open per step 2), click on the Edit menu, go down to Select All, drag it (probably with CTRL held down to copy assuming you don't want to remove this from the Edit menu) to the shortcut toolbar. When you drag, you'll see a box. Hold this over "Text" on the shortcut key until the Text submenu open (kind of what Explorer or IE does), drag down to "Text" until its submenu opens, drag the box over to the sub-sub-menu, position, and release mouse button. This works in 97, which I just tried, and I think I tried it for 2000 and it worked there too.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred:
    You're absolutely right! I had forgotten that when you want to add a command that is already on a normal menu or toolbar, you only need to Ctrl+drag it where you want to copy it, rather than scroll through the commands tab. Thanks for that reminder.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Yes I remember about all the different context menus that Hans mentioned but what I was trying to say was that with the same context menu on older documents I had stored on my machine some did not offer the
    H Lewton