2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Capabilities (2002)

Does anyone know the Capabilities of MS Access 2002. Maximum number of records etc, etc it can handle.
    Frank Hoeffer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Capabilities (2002)

As in previous versions, the limit is on file size, not on number of records: the maximum size of an Access database is 2 GB. One record can have 255 fields, and the maximum size of a record is 2000 bytes, excluding Memo and OLE fields. See MSKB article Q302524.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks,
    Frank

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Thanks!

HansV is correct - a single MDB file is limited to 2GB - however, since you can connect to tables in other databases, if you are looking at a really large application, you could put each table in a different database. Thus a table is essentially limited to 2GB in size. Another limit you could hit if you are using an autonumber field as a primary key, is that long integers max value is 2**32 or about 2,000,000,000. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Given that a table is limited to 2GB in size and you have ~4billion autonumbers (at least in A97 they wrap around if you go past the maximum positive value; I assume they do in A2000 and above), you'd be very hard pressed to have a table where the autonumbers limited the number of records in the table.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Good point - it is highly unlikely unless large blocks of records are deleted and the database is never compacted. And even then it would take a long time, since autonumbers take up 4 bytes. On that basis, the maximum number of records in a table should be about 500 million for a simple table with one column/field. And as far as I know, autonumbers do wrap in 2000/2002 as well, though I've not actually tested it.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Thanks! Again!!

Very, very interesting points.
    The reason I asked was a friend of mine said Access would max out at 200k records and then you would have to use MySQL on the backin. He now is considering FileMaker Pro ( Can you believe that) as he says it can handle a million records. the records are Customer lead sheets.
    What's the deal with MySQL is it just a query program less an interface?
    Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you asking about MySQL or SQL Server? You don't ever *have* to use MySQL, which is another database server somewhat similar to SQL Server. If I remember correctly, the Lounge is archived in MySQL. Anyhow, your friend has been listening to someone's sales pitch and knows rather less than nothing about either Access or FileMaker Pro, in my opinion.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are so right. You know I'm not sure. He said he was told to use access for the frontend and sql for the back end.
    Frank

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A little background on MySQL - it is the database engine that wwwthreads (what the Lounge was built on) uses to store messages. It is a reasonably robust relational database that is "Open Source" and quite inexpensive compared to SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 and other heavyweight databases. However it doesn't have any significant interface development tools comparble to Access, Paradox, Dbase, etc. though I keep hearing scuttlebutt that various companies are developing such tools.

Now as to using Access for front-end development, and SQL Server as a back-end, we've been making a living doing exactly that for almost a decade. It's a very robust combination that affords rapid development - we think it's quicker and more economical than any other approach for serious multi-user applications.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Very Enlightning!

Thanks for all of your brilliant answers!
    Frank