3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access quits accidentally (Access 2000)

I wonder if anyone has this experience: I have a main menu which opens other forms. However, once a while when the other forms close and return to the main menu, Access quits completely and back to Windows 2000. There is no pattern to follow. It just happens randomly. I have checked my machine and there is no virus and I have also re-installed Office completely as well.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access quits accidentally (Access 2000)

All I can think of that might be worth checking is have a look in the table

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you say it happens randomly, do that mean it happens intermittently from the *same* form, or that it happens from different forms?

One of the causes I've seen for this behavior is mixing DAO and ADO in the same routine or calling an ADO function from the middle of a DAO routine. I just make a point of carefully keeping the two object models separate. If I start a function or Sub using DAO, I stay with DAO trhoughout that routine, and the same with ADO.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am NOT using the switchboard. I simply created a form with a few buttons. These buttons will open other form via the on-click event:

docmd.close
    docmd.openform "frmTrans"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not the same form, it could be any form. I don't use DAO in any of the forms.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>>>>>docmd.close
    >>>>>docmd.openform "frmTrans"<<<<<

From your code snippet I see you use

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure if this explains the problem. I do have a form that contain a combo box and a list box that are using unique value property.

The following is from Microsoft's knowledge base:

When you initially set the RecordSource property of the form to a parameterized stored procedure, and you expand the UniqueTable property (by opening the combo box), Microsoft Access tries to execute the stored procedure to retrieve the specified unique table. But, the execution of the parameterized stored procedure is not successful. When you then change the record source of the form to a different record source (a table or a query), and you view the form in Form view, or you try to close the form, Microsoft Access quits and produces an error message. Because the UniqueTable property does not successfully execute the parameterized stored procedure, Microsoft Access quits.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, obtain Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a).

To obtain SR-1/SR-1a, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q245025 OFF2000: How to Obtain and Install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a)

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This article (Q248932) applies only to Access Projects (.adp files), so unless that is what you are using, it is not the problem.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try searching the MS knowledge base under Access 2000 for "quits unexpectedly" and you will get a list of several possible things that can cause that. In particular you might want to look at Q322794 which suggests that Name Autocorrect be turned off. That feature has been known to cause all sorts of grief.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell,

I just did that as you and the kbs suggested. So far so good and the system has not quit unexpectedly. This also seems to be a problem with Access 2002 as well.

Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That feature has been indicted as the cause of a number of problems. It was a half-hearted attempt to provide developers with a built-in "Speed Ferrett " like tool to change names, but it only does half the work and generally causes problems. We usually turn it off when we start a development and leave it that way.
    Wendell