New Lounger
    Thanks

more IE patch damage? (2000)

Has anyone else found an issue with Outlook after recent IE patches whereby if you'e composing a html message the 'insert - hyperlink' and 'insert -picture' dialogs have ceased to function? is there a fix yet? ... I'm not even sure which patch broke it as the users who spotted it didn't bother telling anyone for ' at least 2 weeks '.

Thanks

Re: more IE patch damage? (2000)

One of the IE security settings blocks the Insert|Picture dialog. Not sure about Insert|Hyperlink. To recover Insert|Picture see this thread, and do heed the various warnings!

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the reply, but when I checked on the users pc the 'allow paste via script' option was already enabled.

we've rebuilt a pc and stopped the updates just before Q319182 got installed ... and lo and behold, all is fine and dandy again ... until we apply Q319182 when it promptly breaks again. so we know the culprit, just not the mechanism that it's using to break things.

Thanks

I have Q319182 installed myself, but I have no problem with Insert Picture from either a hyperlink or a local disk or a network drive. I did have to make the change described below to use Insert Hyperlink:
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

still no joy. I've now replicated the problem on my admin pc to avoid having to hassle the user any further. I've tried the insert picture and I get 'error 195', as per attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I may have seen that dialog at some time in the past, but I can't recall when, why, or what the fix was. I think I'm out of ideas. FWIW, I'm running IE 5.5 SP2 and Outlook 2000 SR-1.

New Lounger
    Thanks

My brain (?) is now starting to hurt. I can demonstrate that these three entries in the registry are part of the problem. I can also demonstrate that changing their values in certain orders has NO effect on this problem ... and that Internat.exe needs to be stopped then started, but only sometimes, to affect the problem.

would I be better off moving this to the IE forum? if so, how do I do it ?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows CurrentVersionInternet Settings]
    "Security_HKLM_only"=dword:00000000
    "Security_options_edit"=dword:00000000
    "Security_zones_map_edit"=dword:00000000

Thanks

Not sure whether these policies were added locally or get added at logon from the server. That probably would affect whether you can delete them... In any event, I'm not sure what they do. If you can get into the registry in the first place, you may well be able to change the settings manually. There's a detailed listing of the settings in Description of Internet Explorer Security Zones Registry Entries (Q182569). Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

This may be of interest to you:

OL2000: Error Message: Error 195 'Undefined' Is Null or Not an Object (Q311750)

When you try to insert a picture into an HTML-formatted message, you may receive the following error message:

An error has occurred in this dialog.
    Error: 195 'undefined' is null or not an object

CAUSE
    This problem can occur if you installed Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2), and then upgraded to Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, upgrade to Internet Explorer 6. To get the latest version of Internet Explorer, please see the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/IE

WORKAROUND
    To avoid this problem, configure Microsoft Word as your e-mail editor:

In Outlook, click Options on the Tools menu.

Click the Mail Format tab, and then click to select Use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail messages .

Click Apply , and then click OK .

You can now insert .gif files into your e-mail messages.

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

I am not sure why the link did not work???

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Melissa! The font is so small on my screen I did not even notice that I had inadvertantly typed a brace instead of a bracket!

Jeff, those settings are are controlled by the Tools | Internet Options | Security tab | Custom Level -- but I am not sure if they are playing a role in this problem...

Thanks

Rick, I don't think these are user settings, they're in the big brother section:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE<font color=red>Policies</font color=red>MicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff, I think we are talking about two different things! :-]Are you referring to Dino's list here:

"Security_HKLM_only"=dword:00000000
    "Security_options_edit"=dword:00000000
    "Security_zones_map_edit"=dword:00000000

Then, yes, this is the Big Brother section. But the MSKB article you linked above does not REALLY address the Big Brother section settings -- except for this ONE entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows CurrentVersionInternet Settings
    Security_HKLM_only

This single entry simply forces the *HKLM* Security zone settings to override the "User" settings (HKCU/HKUD).

The other two Policies entries that Dino displays simply are used to prevent the User from modifying the Security settings and the Zone Maps:

"Security_Options_Edit" - prevents users from changing security zone settings and disables the Custom Level button and security-level slider.

"Security_Zones_Map_Edit" - prevents users from adding or removing sites from security zones

These are all tools that Big Brother uses to prevent the user from modifying the Security settings.