3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word (2000 SR1a)

In all my Office2k applications the glossary do not work. I.e. nothing happens when clicking one of the blue not-underlined items in Help. I have the latest Office 2k updates/patches etc and use Win2kPro, also with the latest updates. Anybody got some ideas how to fix this? (NB reinstalling from scratch/detect/repair etc didn't repair this error).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word (2000 SR1a)

Sorry, so far as I know, this was one of Microsoft's "fixes". I don't recall which one, but to fix a security leak, one of their early patches took away this functionality. Another "cure worse than disease"??

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Thanks, I'll check out the WOW archives on this.
    Teun

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Wow didn' t reveal much, so I tried it the hard way. I uninstalled Off2k completely, the "normal" way + Eraser2k, since my previous experience was that the only normal way wasn't good enough. After reinstalling Off2k I got my glossary functionality back. I then installed the patches/updates one-by-one. The culprit was indeed an obscure security patch (as you hinted already) called ouactrl.exe. This one installs some older DLLs and an OCX called ouactrl.ocx.
    By removing manually ouactrl.ocx I got the Glossary functionality in all Off2k applications back. Note that running any one off the Off2k apps for the 1st time after removing the OCX required the Off2k CD for some repairs. So now everything runs perfectly again. What this ouactrl.ocx was supposed to do I have no clue! Hopefully my antivirus scanner provides the same security or better!

This maybe of interest to other wowsers/loungers as well, but I leave it to you to further adverise it.

Thanks once again for the hint!

Teun

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Teun:
    Thanks for tracking this down. Of course, this will make your system more vulnerable so it depends upon how many questionable sites you visit.

Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited: <!t><!/t> and <!t>.<!/t> tags added around the article title to make the link live. -Mod.

Hi Phil,

Finally: OFF2000: Update Available for Office 2000 UA Control Vulnerability (Q262767) mentions correctly that installing this security patch switches off the "Show me" popup screens in all Off2k Help files, including the Glossary in MS Project.

So I was warned after all.

Cheers, Teun