Thanks

Re: Outlook-ODMA Integration: Who Cares? (Outlook 2002)

To conduct a poll on the Lounge, open the 1-Click TagPanel (directly above the input textarea) and click the button that says POLL. You then can edit the resulting placeholder code to your liking. This way, the input can be gathered in an organized way and readily viewable by everyone who has completed the poll. If you prefer random free-form input, then never mind!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook-ODMA Integration: Who Cares? (Outlook 2002)

%To: ODMA Discussion Lists

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i suppose more of us might care if we knew what odma and dms were.... the url is not very informational, except to techies that already know and understand what odma and dms are.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize for the obfuscation. I was looking for people who already might use ODMA in some capacity to see what value Outlook integration would have in their setting. I don't have a good sense of where the ODMA user community might exist, hence the shotgun approach. It is also possibly the case that users are operating with ODMA integrations on the desktop without being particularly aware of it.

Anyhow, here's a little more background

ODMA is the Open Document Management API. It is an interface, implemented initially in 1995, that supports desktop applications being able to operate with managed documents almost as easily as with documents in the file system. A desktop application (such as Microsoft Word since Office 97) that has been made ODMA-aware will notice ODMA presence (almost like noticing Web Folders) and connect with an installed DMS to perform document creation, open, update, save, and similar operations in response to the user's use of the standard File | ... menu operations. The advantage is that users don't have to leave the application and interrupt their attention to transfer a file system document in and out of a document-management system as a separate activity.

The benefits have been the greatest for document-management system vendors, who are able to use the other side of the ODMA integration model to make their systems integrate with common desktop applications on a near plug-and-play basis. It is especially valuable that some of the Microsoft Office Suite components are and continue to be ODMA-aware. So is Open Office, I'm told, and WordPerfect and Borland were also early adopters.

It's one of those solutions that doesn't seem to be the best yet it is simple enough and the benefits are clear enough (especially to small document-management system developers) that ODMA has endured in its niche all of this time, especially outside of North America.

As a technology it is similar to TWAIN (sorry, I can't remember what that acronym stands for) in how it operates, except it is for access to storage systems for managed documents rather than access to an input source.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm interested to see the followup re this post; however, my only contribution at this time is an answer to:
    <hr>As a technology it is similar to TWAIN (sorry, I can't remember what that acronym stands for) in how it operates, except it is for access to storage systems for managed documents rather than access to an input source.<hr>
    TWAIN = Technology with an Interesting Name.

Lounger
    Thanks

We use iManage DMS with their Infolook 2.x and Mailsite 3.0 products, which integrates into Outlook. We currently only use Outlook2000 so I haven't see this. We use ODMA for PowerPoint 2000 and Visio 2000 connectivity to the DMS, and iManage's COM object integration for Word and Excel.

Although Mailsite integrates into Outlook as a MAPI provider, normal Outlook functions like "save attachment" are not aware of the DMS, so users are still capable of saving file outside the secure, resilient, backed up DMS system, and onto their C drive.

I would very much like all Outlook file access procedures to be ODMA aware as this would greatly reduce the risk of lost data to us.

Hope this helps

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. That is very useful. It has me realize that saving to the desktop (or a file folder) is more than just an intrusion on the user. The tendency will be to leave the material out of the document-management system.
    One of the lessons from my experience watching ODMA over the last few years is that it doesn't catch everything either (but more is caught and managed than without it) . We could have put the integration in an even better place that did not depend on the willingness of desktop-software developers to add in the ODMA hook, modest as it is.
    I am curious to see if we can create more universal integration with WebDAV than we have accomplished with ODMA.
    Thanks for providing a glimpse of how you've used multiple integrations, including via ODMA, to have an useful degree of coherence in your desktop operations with managed documents.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis

As an Record management & archives minor in my Bachelor of Science (Communication and Information Technology)/Bachelor of Science (Library Technology), I am concerned to hear of the bug/omission.

ODMA has been the main way the RMS (records management) and DM (document management) applications have been able to work seamlessly with other programs. With the rise of e-mail as a business tool and Outlook as a personal information management tool it would seem that it is vital that Outlook is ODMA aware.