Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Computer

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Computer

I am thinking of getting a new computer, but am not sure exactly what I want to get. I have a buget of 5000 to spend on it as well. Any of you have idea's on what would be a good spend in money? I don't want to buy something that I don't trust. A few people have suggested Alienware. what do you all think?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Computer

I have heard that the "Alien" is great. I can only speak from personal experience. For the business I work for I only go high end Dell, I know some will chastise me however they have proven overall reliable. I have seen Gateway quality fall and have always been burned by Compaq and HP in the short run (frequent reinstalls). In the 80's and now again in the new Millenium I build my systems. The thing is to watch out for the M-Boards. Many good companies have 1 or 2 boards that cause / are a problem.
    Ask twice buy once.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well one thing I have noticed is that if i get a new computer and the OS is XP - Profesional than I need at least 256 RAM. Only this will leave me with about 20 RAM to work with daily. So I already know I'll want to have a high RAM content, probably looking in between 500MB to a Gig. Any other ideas

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Keyrice, you don't believe in small questions, do you?

'They' say that of the processors available, the AMD > 1Ghz range is good value for money. Look for this sort of spec (if you could build your own, it's cheaper and you only have to trust yourself). I failed the last time only because the Asus mobo they sold me was duff). I assume you'll want Windows XP, though your choice will be very much determined by what you want to do with your system. Let's say home/office use with occasional games. If more than occasional, get the best graphics card you can afford.

Athlon 1900+
    512Mb RAM
    80Gb HD
    GeForce 2 Graphics card or compatible (big choice)
    CD-RW (combo with DvD player if IDE slots are short)
    Cordless keyboard
    Cordless Optical mouse
    V92 Modem (not a Winmodem)
    Sound card - huge choice, depending on upstairs neighbours, kids in bed etc.
    4 USB 2 ports (or use a hub)
    Removable Hard drive (hot swappable are good, but not cheap)
    19" monitor (Ilyama are superb)
    Flatbed scanner
    Printer (laser for monochrome or deskjet for color)
    On-site warranty for at least 1 year.

All this should come in at well under $5 grand.

Would suggest not getting : TV tuner card, DvD writer, Firewire support (unless into video) Multi-function device (one fault, you lose the lot), SCSI drives (expensive though quick), and bundled software - most of which you wouldn't think of buying anyway.
    If you buy branded, you may be buying into proprietary memory and software. Personally, I wouldn't do it that way. Beware box-shifters and the week-end technicians that go with them.

Much of the above will depend, of course, on whether you are more at home with a screwdriver than a cheque book....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well the computer is definately going to be used for personal, and business use. I am starting my own business so I will use the computer to develop some helpful systems and to keep track of my finances. Also it will be personal use such as PC games and the like. I do enjoy those when I have nothing better to do, and so I was planning on getting the GeForce4 (unless on better comes out before I buy). I never do buy the software bundles because they are a waste and your right I would most likely never use them anyway. The only software I ask to be included is usually MSOffice. I use this stuff all the time. Otherwise I already have the software I need for my other things. As for most of the other things I agree that I won't need it. Why though would you suggest against SCSI? From my experience it is quite nice.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

....oh, it is, and worth paying for if you need it. For most purposes these days though, IDE is perfectly adequate. Look at a stock list and compare SCSI prices, like for like, with IDE.
    From your other comments, I would definitely say that getting the components separately would save you spending cash on unwanted items. Mind you, if you can get a company to 'bundle' MS Office (don't forget Publisher) they would probably also build you a very nice system to your own spec.

Luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you much. The company I have been looking into is Alienware and from what i have seen it is a very nice company. You can customize everything. So I have been leaning to them. They also give you the top edition of MSOffice so you get it all. I do thank you for the tips.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merc you said not to bother with a DVD writer I am hoping that means that you don't expect DVD to replace CDs. Every time I wait until a given technology gets well established before I purchase it, they promptly replace it with something new. I am referring here to use as a backup system. I thought I was being wise to go to Colorado External; Outdated by Jazz Zip; Outdated by CD/w. I haven't gone CD/w yet. Actually I am thinking external Harddrive might be better.
    Edited because I went back and reread you post and am willing to bet you will recommend the Hardrive which you did mention.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure that DVD's will replace CD's. Maybe in a data context, but I think the music industry will stay with the CD format over the DVD's because they would likely not want as much space as a DVD can offer. But then again you never know what will happen.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Obviously I can't speak for Merc but I did want to weigh in on the DVD issue with a relevant point:

CUrrent DVD writing technology is extremely expensive and not terribly compatible cross-platform. A new standard, the Blu-Ray DVD, was recently announced, and will be backwards compatible with current red laser based products. Thus, spending top dollar on something now would indeed be a foolish investment if you can wait.

DVD audio may at some point take off, because it enables much higher resolution and true 5.1 surround, and an album could conceiveably come in many different surround formats all on the same release. But currently, movies seem to be the big ting. Games will probably get out on DVD as they grow more complex (anyone who has juggled three or four game CDs will relate to this).
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well one thing that I'd like to say is that games are already out on DVD. They are extremely hard to program and so it will take a bit of getting used to but Sony has already jumped in on that. The PS2 games are mostly DVD format. The only ones that aren't are the blue backed disks. The clear back are DVD's with the games on them. That helped a lot with Final Fantasy X because that is one large game. It would have deffinately been four CD's if it were to have been made on the PSOne. Microsoft, and Nintendo will have to go that direction in there next system unless they can find a better way. Nintendo may be on the right track with Game Cube, but I don't think so. They targeted little kids for sales because they can keep the games more simple. The only thing that would appeal to most young adults would be the sports games, and Resident evil at this point in time. Just a thought.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Imagine a DVD encoded with VBR MP3's. You could put a few -days- tunes on it, not just a few hours.

As to your original question, I don't always hear good things about Dell (but I have a prejudice towards Gateway, I used to live near their original HQ).

For $5k US, you can get TWO good machines! (Wish I had that budget.) You should look at Alienware or anyone else who will use non-propretary components. And I WOULD have echoed MerC's comments on high end AMD's, until I read the latest article in Tom's Hardware Guide. Intel is getting serious again.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would have done the same. After reading that article on the P4 though I'm not sure it would be worth the money to go with the new AMD. It would be much better to take the faster, and cheaper P4, especially if it is boosting a 2533 mHz processor speed. That could help quite a bit. Thanks for the web site.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For what it's worth, I just ordered a boxed P4 1.8gig, Soyo motherboard (can't remember what model), case, powersupply (400w I think), keyboard, and wheel mouse for $480 from Outpost. I already have the ram, mobo uses SDRAM, nvidia graphics, monitor, and printer. Nothing at the extreme end of the spectrum like DDR or plus 2gig speed, but will be quite an improvement over my HP6635 Celeron533 with a 100w power supply!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Forgot to add, I also got a WD 80gig hard drive in that total too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast