Lounger
    Thanks

External Recipient (WinXP/Outlook XP SP1)

In the good old days, I was able to create an External User on our exchange server, which meant that we could create Distribution Lists that contained both Internal and External users.

Now that we've got Win2K and Active Directory, it seems impossible to create an external user, yet I know this has to be something that can be done! The Active Directory and Win2K HELP Files are no help at all! Can anyone offer a suggestion? At the moment, we HAVE to have an address book in the Public Folders, but you can't select people from here for Distribution Lists that contain users who don't work in our offices and that have different E-mail addresses other than those on our Domain Name!!!

Frustration much?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

(P.S. Why has MS made this SO difficult, when it was SO easy on NT4?) [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: External Recipient (WinXP/Outlook XP SP1)

there are two ways - one as a contact, one as a user with an external address and no exchange mailbox.

i'm not in front of the AD machine right now, but there is a contact button or it's on the right click. Or just create a regular user but not an exchange mailbox and use an external email address for them.

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried that, but the external recipient doesn't appear in Global Address List, when I click TO in an Outlook Message? Have I done something wrong?

P.S. Thanks for the (very prompt) reply! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

how many exhcange servers are in the organization? More than one and you may need to wait for replication.

right click on the contact and choose properties - exchange advanced tab, is it marked to not show in exchange lists?

are there any filters enabled in the GAL?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

We have 2 Exchange Servers. I created this Contact on Thursday, and it's now Monday, which I hope would mean that Replication should've taken place.

RE: New contact . . . as he's an External address, I chose not to generate an Exchange Mailbox, so there's no 'Exchange Advance Tab' when I click Properties. I don't have to generate Mailboxes for external addresses, do I?! [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

If Filters are applied in the GAL, does that Filter affect the Outlook View too?

Thanks again for all your help. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]