Thread: CPU upgrade

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

CPU upgrade

I'm a modern hardware novice, so please send me to a good website, question or redirect me as appropriate.

I have an old NEC Ready 9701, proprietary NEC Mobo, that I'm trying to keep alive a couple more years ... at tolerable performance. I've ordered RAM to max out the Mobo capacity, but need some help on the CPU. The proprietary Mobo limits me; I can't drop any other Mobo in.

CPU is Intel Pentium II 150 Mhz, in a Socket 7, front side bus runs at 60 Mhz, and it's a 3.3 V chip. I have learned that I can definitely drop in an AMD K6-2 400 Mhz (or an Intel PII 233, but that wouldn't be very productive). My question is, if it's Socket 7 pin compatible, why can't I drop in a faster AMD K6-2? Does it have to do with chip voltage or FSB speed or something else? Where do I find this stuff out?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CPU upgrade

Have you tried http://www.powerleap.com?

AS well as CPU upgrades (K6-2 sounds familiar), they do stg called a 'renaissance board' which is effectively a replacment for the mobo. Have a look before you've paid for your new RAM!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. PowerLeap was where I got the recommendation for the K6-2 400Mhz CPU, but I didn't realize they had mobo replacements. It doesn't look like they have a Renaissance mobo for the NEC series I have. If I missed something in my search, let me know; the RAM is already on it's way.

BTW I found the K6-2 400 Mhz at ACMicro for cheap.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

As far as i can remember, the renaissance board simly needs an ISA (or maybe PCI) slot. So long as it fits physically into the case, there is no other compatability issue. It comes complete with CPU, graphics card, RAM and the rest.

If your RAM is arleady en route, then the cost/benefit equation is altered more than a little!