New Lounger
    Thanks

Flashing your BIOS on XP (XP)

Being a die hard windows 98 guy, I have my computer set-up on a dual boot with XP. I just flashed my bios using the DOS program aflash, but I couldn't find how to do it using XP. When I booted with XP the aflash utility would not work. Any ideas? I'm sure there is a configuration management tool somewhere, but I am tired of looking for it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Flashing your BIOS on XP (XP)

To flash the bios you have to (normally) boot from a DOS diskette. Anything from within XP, including booting to the command prompt will not (or should not) work. If it does work, you're just lucky; or you could really foul up your BIOS. Best to put the aflash utility on a bootable DOS diskette, without any memory management in the config.sys or autoexec.bat,, boot the PC with that and then run aflash from the diskette. Never Never try flashing from any windows program.

--Bob
    -Bob Harris
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Flashing your BIOS on XP (XP)

spacehokie i had the same problem... was updating my board with a new bios and had to reset the cmos... i ended up using dr dos 7.x www.bootdisk.com... it worked great, and was a complete no brainer from creating a boot disk to get rid of that hi mem problem i was having when i was making dos boot disk from scratch... also that f5 key is supposed to bypass when you make a disk from my computer... (i found it didn't) still loaded some garb on oh well try that dr dos 7.x bios disk