2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

List of Functions (Access 97)

Is there a way to get a complete list of all the Functions and their syntax, possibly with examples of usage? I'm getting bleary eyed going back & forth in the Help section. I'm trying to learn Access, and having to go back & forth between project and Help files is getting VERY old and unappealing.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Gardella
    Bartlesville, Ok.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: List of Functions (Access 97)

Perhaps somebody else will come up with a document or link.

To see a list of all functions, unfortunately without syntax:

Open the Help Index.
    Type Functions, list.
    Click Display.

If a function belongs to the DAO or VBA library, this is indicated. The others are Access functions.

You can print this Help topic.

A good way to learn about syntax is the Object Browser:

SelectView/Object Browser or type F2 from any module window).
    Select the library you want to learn more about (Access, DAO, VBA).
    Right click the Members pane and make sure that Group Members is checked.
    Scroll the Members pane until you see the methods (functions and procedures, indicated by a greenish icon).
    Click on a method to see its syntax in the bottom pane.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW - With the "Help" files you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a really GOOD description of all VBA functions and statements, the best reference I've seen (not an Access book) is VB & VBA In a Nutshell by Paul Lomax, published by O'Reilly. The main body of the book consists of a VB/VBA Language Reference which lists all VBA functions & statements. Each listing provides, in detail, the language element's syntax, description, rules, useful examples, and best of all "Programming Tips & Gotchas" - as the book states, "this is the stuff Microsoft doesn't tell you!" The latter alone are worth price of admission. If you're sick & tired of going back & forth to the less-than-useful "Help" files this book may be a good investment (available from amazon.com at 30% discount last time I checked) /End of unpaid, unsolicited testimonial.

NOTE - book covers VBA 6, Access 97 uses VBA version 5, so be aware some functions introduced in VBA 6 may not be available in ACC 97. The book makes note when a language element is supported in VB/VBA 6 only.

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I've just ordered the book you recommended from Amazon. While I was hoping there was a list or pamphlet available to which I could quickly refer, the book seems pretty easy to navigate.

Respectfully,

-Steve-

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

Thank you for the info. I'm about to follow your instructions to checkout the Help file list. BTW, what is "DAO"? I see that abbreviation in an error message I get when synching my PDA.

-Steve-

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just asked a similar question in another post. Sadly your suggested procedure does not work in Access XP SP1.

Typing "Functions; list" in the Help index yields 80 options to choose from, none of which appears to offer a list of all functions available. Then again, perhaps my ability to scan 80 options is deficient. Seems absurdly time consuming / wasteful? Very far from user friendly, anyway.

(BTW I am looking for a list of Access functions, rather than VBA or DAO functions)

David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

DAO doesn't have functions. It's an object model, so it has methods and properties. Access and VBA have functions. Excel has a handy RegisteredFunctions property but I've never found an equvalent in Access.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

DAO = Data Access Objects. This is the object model used in Access 97. It is still supported in Access 2000 and XP, but the standard model there is ADO (ActiveX Data Objects).

If you look up DAO objects, object models in the Help Index and select the one for Microsoft Jet, you'll see an overview of the model: Workspaces, Databases, Tabledefs, Fields etc.