Thread: Visio/Office

Wowzer454

Visio/Office

Howdy,

I'm fairly new to Visio (Standard). I haven't really had any need to use flow-charting and business diagramming software until recently...I can't believe the pain I went through using Word to have the same thing automatically done for me in Visio...

Anyhow, from the looks of things, Visio Standard is an entirely different beast than Enterprise of Technical. More to the point, it seems like Technical is almost an entirely different product -- do any of you think MSFT has plans to make Visio Standard an "Office only" offering and rebrand the other editions of Visio? I wouldn't mind seeing Visio as another standard Office offering (a la PowerPoint), but I can't see how MSFT could do that while maintaining the other editions of Visio...

Thoughts?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Visio/Office

Well, considering their track record, I could see them using different versions according to the Office suite purchased (Home, Small Business, Enterprise). I don't know what compatibility issues exist between the various editions, but possibly they could have option stacks available for download? Just thinking out loud. [img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]

If I've learned one thing over the years, never underestimate the marketing ability of Bill and his crew at Redmond. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Karen

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, pre-Microsoft Visio, Visio Corp briefly offered something call e-Visio, that allowed you to purchase just the pieces you wanted and to "roll your own" version of Visio. That was dropped when Microsoft bought into the product. Maybe they'll reintroduce it under the .Net banner.

Standard is the basic Visio product, with the most generally used features in it. I suppose it may someday become part of the Office suite, or at least some version of the Office suite, although I would expect Professional to be the best match for Office Professional. Professional offers more of the database and network capabilities and the Visio development features. Technical is a specialty version of Visio designed for heavy duty technical work like diagramming networks down to the particular brand of screws on the rack (OK, maybe not quite that heavy duty, but close [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]), and is not something that most users ever need.

All the versions of Visio, including Technical, are included in the Enterprise edition, and I wouldn't expect to find that in any version of the Office suite, although I could see it being included in Visual Studio. It's already included in the MSDN Universal subscription, which is quite a bargain considering the cost of Visio Enterprise in the first place.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Because of the cost, i doubt there will be a bundled version with office, but how knows. They might decide it would be good.

It is part of the office family, along with project that is not bundled either.

on a more humorous note, if you get tired of doing flow charts and boring business diagrams, try this:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q274/4/77.Asp>visio addin</A>