New Lounger
    Thanks

Huge Word Docs, Bloated Word Files (2000)

I have a document that I have put a lot of work into and it is now over 20 megs. The document is about 40 pages long.

That is one huge word file. The Bloated Word Document is causing me problems.

I can't email it for review because the receivers email doesn't except such huge bloated vile file.

While, yes I can think of some work arounds to get the file to the reviewer, I'd like to fix the problem. The file should be so huge. Saving it under another name doesn't help.

With the word document file being huge, I'm also concerned that it could contain information that I don't want to be sent out.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Huge Word Docs, Bloated Word Files (2000)

Have you been saving "versions" of this document?

If so, that's the cause of the bloat. Save under a new name and delete all previous saved versions.

If you have Fast Saves checked(Tools Options Save), uncheck and save again. That also adds bloat (but I can't imagine it adding 20 Megs...).

Thanks

First, make sure it is not an RTF document saved with a .doc extension. Typically, if you choose Save As in an RTF document, RTF will show as the proposed format for saving. RTF makes fat files.

Second, other than text, what is in the document? For example, do you have embedded objects? Press Alt+F9 and look at all the field codes for things that look like {EMBED PBrush} or {EMBED PowerPoint.Slide.8}. Depending on what these objects are, and how you plan to edit them in the future, if at all, you might be able to unlink the fields turning them into hardcoded pictures. However, you probably should experiment on a backup copy of your document, just in case.

Please post back for more suggestions if these don't help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Problem Solved

I was saving the file each time and each save also saved three different versions. After deleting the three versions, and saving the file under another name the size of the file went from more than 22 megs, to 475 k. Now I can email it.