Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to Share Email between 2 Users? (Win XP Pro/Office XP Pro)

I work at a small charity with 2 part time workers. Occasionally they work on the same days and I would like them to be able to concurrently share the same Outlook mail file, and Send/Receive email, share Contacts etc. Currently they share the same PST file stored on 1 of the 2 machines, across a peer to peer network, but they only access it one at a time. However, we are due to get 2 new machines both with Win XP Pro + Office XP Pro. Is the only way I can achieve this sharing to use Win2K server instead on one of the machines, with Exchange 2000 server? (I understand there isn't XP server yet). It seems like it would be extra complication I would prefer not to do. The cost is not such an issue as we would get very reasonable charity pricing for both W2K + Exch 2000. They DON'T need separate email addresses/identities or anything like that, although I guess in future there IS the possibility that we may get a couple of extra workers who might, just might, need their own email addresses.

Help will be MUCH appreciated - I'm the best they've got, but I can't answer it!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to Share Email between 2 Users? (Win XP Pro/Office XP Pro)

I can't provide a direct answer to your question, but I've read your post a couple of times, and I think the following would achieve most of your aim - and save you money too.

http://www.ftgate.com/Office/index.htm is a mail server which should run on xp pro, as far as I know, which has a shared address book, has charity pricing, is much lighter on resources than MS Exchange.

If you can get a licence for Outlook 2k somehow, you could use netfolders.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i'm not familiar with this mail program, but for sharing mail, i recommend an imap server. there is a utility from bynari that allows imap servers to handle special folder items (calendar, contacts etc).

otherwise, in the situtation described, Outlook isn't very good at sharing, although sharing options exist and are listed at slipstick.com.

netfolders is not only buggy, but requires each person to use a different email address. It doesn't work with Ol2002(XP) and to downgrade would mean they'd need to get licensed copies of Office 2000.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brilliant ! Thanks very much, both!

[img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another way round would be to combine ftgate (lite version) with Time and Chaos as a personal Information Manager. $45 per user.

See http://www.isbister.com

I think you'll find this gives you all the functionality of Outlook / MS Exchange.