Star Lounger
    Thanks

Comparing Documents with Word 2002 and DocsOpen (Word XP (2002))

We use DocsOpen at our firm... I would like to use the Legal Blackline feature of Word 2002, however, when I go to Tools - Compare and Merge Documents, our DocsOpen window comes up (where I would choose the modified document to compare with) rather than the window where I can click on the Legal Blackline check box. Does anyone have any idea how I can still use the Legal Blacklining feature with DocsOpen (i.e., is there another place to turn this feature on that I'm just not seeing)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Comparing Documents with Word 2002 and DocsOpen (Word XP (2002))

How funny that I'm replying to my own post... I did see that if I save the two documents that I want to compare outside of DocsOpen, the Legal Blacklining option is available. However, I was under the impression that this option would show deleted text as strikethrough (when the balloons are turned off), rather than just a different color. Is there ANY WAY in Word XP to get deleted text (when comparing documents) to show as strikethrough? Thanks...

Thanks

I think Woody published a series of newsletters on XP's feature changes. I thought strikethrough was what you got if you turned off the balloons, but you can go through the newsletters for more info. (I bet someone has posted links in another thread on XP's track changes issues.)

I'm a bit puzzled by your integration. In our system (integrated through WORLDOX), we use Tools|Track Changes|Compare Documents... to pull up the document to compare. No checkboxes are used. Did MS take this off the menu in 2002? If so, you might be able to customize your menus to get it back, but as a 2000 user, I'm not in a position to test out that theory.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked through all the posts in the lounge already and did notice that others were wondering how to get the deleted text to show as strikethrough also. When you turn the balloons off, the deleted text appears as a different color font, but not strikethrough (and I can't find an option to change the formatting of deleted text). With DocsOpen, we can still use Tool - Compare and Merge Documents but, since it brings up our DocsOpen window rather than the WordXP window, we are not able to check the Legal Blacklining feature, which is new in XP. However, I did find that if I save them outside of Docs, I can then use that feature (but still no strikethrough)...

Thanks

Someone in IT needs to hack around that to accommodate the new feature. Good luck getting their attention!

On the strikethrough, the answer I was looking for is item:

5. BRUTE-FORCE FORMATTING OF WORD 2002 DELETED TEXT

in:

WOW -- WOODY's OFFICE WATCH, Vol 7 No 19, 8 May 2002

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried running Legal Blackline on a pair of documents (I am running Office XP and DOCS Open on a test box), and it seemed to work fine. I ran Legal Blackline with one document in (V2) and one document out (V1) of DOCS Open. When it gave me my Blackline document, I had my inserted text marked as double underline and my deleted text marked as strikethrough. Do you know what I am doing wrong (Or I guess right, in this case) that I'm not getting what you have?

I had already changed my normal Track Changes options to turn off Balloon text boxes and mark deleted text as strikethrough...did you already set that option?

I'm interested to know if this is the only problem you've had with Legal Blackline...I've run into other problems as well.

Thanks,
    Becky

Star Lounger
    Thanks

In that article, do you know where the macro is that it speaks of? I'm willing to try anything to get strikethrough to work. I checked on the other link that the article refers to, but nothing there on the macro either. Any ideas?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question is - where in Word XP do you set the Track Changes options to show deleted text as strikethrough? My only options in Tools - Options - Track Changes are: Insertions, Formatting, and Color. This is my big mystery....

Thanks

There's no macro, actually. You run that command in the Immediate window (inside the macro editor) following the steps described in the article. If you prefer to have a macro you can re-use, then try this:

Sub ShowDeletedAsStrikethrough()
    Options.DeletedTextMark = wdDeletedTextMarkStrikeThrough
    End Sub

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, this is really bizarre, but I'll tell you what I saw. When I replied to your post, I had just (as in yesterday) installed Office XP on a clean NT 4.0 Workstation PC with PC Docs and a few other little programs. I pulled up a pair of documents, compared them, and saw the goofy balloon things. I immediately clicked on the Show button on the Reviewing toolbar, and turned off the balloons. I told it to mark my additions as double-underline with black text, I turned off the balloons, then, under Changed Lines at the bottom, there were 3 options, one for color, one for the side border things, and one to tell me how to show my text (bold, strikethrough, etc.). I changed my settings and didn't think any more about it.

This morning, after I received your reply, I went back in to look at the setting, and there is no 3rd setting under Changed Lines. I swear it was there yesterday.

I did a search on MS's KB, and I found the following article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/previe...b;en-us;Q323220

I didn't have the exact key in the registry it asks you to delete, so I just deleted the "Data" key, and it worked for me. I did have to turn the balloons off again, but it worked after that.

Hope this helps!
    Becky

Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. All I've had to do is make sure the damn balloons are turned off, and deletions comethrough as strikethrough, insetions as underline. Hmmmm. Word happens?

(We use GroupWise - and we're used to having to do almost everything outside of GW.)

Anne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DocsOpen (Hummingbird Corporation) can provide you with a Docs.ini change that will allow the "native" Word dialogue to display when you choose "Compare and merge". Alternatively, you should see (or can modify Docs.ini) to allow the "native application" choice on the DocsOpen QuickRetrieve window. In any event, you will need to contact your system administrator, or DocsOpen directly for this information.