Lounger
    Thanks

name at top of start menu (XP PRO)

Sometimes I see my full name, Robin Freeman, at the top of the start menu. At other times, this changes to my username, rfreeman, seemingly randomly. Any idea why? TIA, Robin.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: name at top of start menu (XP PRO)

good question...
    I *never* see my name at all (when first got new XP computer, didn't know about this; since then have tried various edits to 'name' of computer, etc, which show up in "Properties" but never on the start menu .... (not that I really need it, being a single user, but it would be (heh heh) cool to see my name whenever I go there <ack, is that vain or what??>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are you using the classic menu or the new xp one? the name is only on the xp style.

FYI: names and users pics, are available only on non-domain users. If you log into a domain, no user pic.

Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using the new XP menu. I log onto an NT domain. I don't really care what name appears at the top of the menu, but it bothers me that it keeps changing! Today, for example, it's rfreeman. Yesterday it was Freeman, Robin (a new variation!).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Robin--
    I renamed my start menu because when I was installing XP my mouse malfunctioned
    and I had to do it with the keyboard. (Found out later that there is a tiny button on the
    bottom of the Logitech Cordless that has to be pushed to fix this). As a result it somehow
    skipped my chance to "name" and I wanted to name it.
    I'm not on a domain, and you can modify a lot of domain interfacing at the so-called
    Computer Management Snap-In which is part of the Microsoft Management Console, the
    "MMC" which opens collections of tools called "consoles" that are used to manage
    Windows XP. All of them are explained when you open these tools on the console,
    and they are explained again when you right click, get a context menu, and left
    click and open properties. You can always undo what you do with the MMC.
    I don't know if you can do this on a domain, but I do know this is where I
    changed the name for my computer, and here's how and where. I also think that
    I know how you can keep the name from changing once the configuration you
    like shows up. Why it changes or who changes it from time to time is interesting.
    I have copied the explanations for you at the two places:

First to keep the name from changing, bring up the command line by hitting the
    Windows Key + the "R" key or Start>Run and type in gpedit.msc. The group policy
    editior is an MMC snap-in that lets you configure a host of administrative options
    and here you want to configure it so that the name changes stop.
    On the left is a console tree. You want User Configuration>Administrative Templates>
    Start Menu and Taskbar then over on the right of the partition you'll see a list of
    items or "settings." Scroll down and select the one that says "Remove Logoff on
    Start Menu" (16th on the list); Right Click it and Left Click Open "Properties."
    You'll be able to stop the changing here and I copied Microsoft's Explanation
    that you'll see:
    Adds the "Log Off <username>" item to the Start menu and prevents users from removing it
    If you enable this setting, the Log Off <username> item appears in the Start menu. This setting also removes the Display Logoff item from Start Menu Options. As a result, users cannot remove the Log Off <username> item from the Start Menu.

If you disable this setting or do not configure it, users can use the Display Logoff item to add and remove the Log Off item.

This setting affects the Start menu only. It does not affect the Log Off item on the Windows Security dialog box that appears when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Note: To add or remove the Log Off item on a computer, click Start, click Settings, click Taskbar and Start Menu, click the Start Menu Options tab, and then, in the Start Menu Settings box, click Display Logoff.

Also, see "Remove Logoff" in User ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesSystemLogon/Logoff.
    Also Remove User Name from Start Menu.

This should stop the renaming. If for some reason you don't have administrative
    on this domain, I would talk to whoever does who also probably understands why the name
    keeps changing. The change could be audited by auditing account management events.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To change the name on the start menu open the Computer Management Component
    of Administrative Tools. You can get there and open it up two ways (I have this pinned
    to my start menu to make it faster):
    Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintainance>Administrative Tools>Computer
    Management
    or Right Click "My Computer" and choose "Mangement" from the shortcut or context
    menu.
    On the Console Tree: System Tools>Open up Local Users and Groups>Click on
    Users>and on the right of the partition you'll see your account. Right click your
    account and the short-cut/context menu has the option to rename. Click on
    rename, and name it what you want. I copied Microsoft's explanation:

To rename a user account
    Open Computer Management.
    In the console tree, click Users

Cmputer Management
    System Tools
    Local Users and Groups
    Users
    Right-click the user account you want to rename, and then click Rename.
    Type the new user name, and then press ENTER.
    Notes
    To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    Because it retains its security identifier (SID), a renamed user account retains all its other properties, such as its description, password, group memberships, user environment profile, account information, and any assigned permissions and rights.
    A user name cannot be identical to any other user or group name of the computer being administered. It can contain up to 20 uppercase or lowercase characters except the following:
    " / [ ] : ; | = , + * ? < >

A user name cannot consist solely of periods (.) or spaces.
    There is a good explanation of all this on the Help Tab for the Microsoft Management
    Console.

Also to see how to rename on your computer, just hit F1 to bring up "Help and
    Support" and type in the search "Rename User Account." It will take you
    directly there.

defrag

New Lounger
    Thanks

am using the XP start menu ... (just back in town, have read the other replies to Robin, so will try those steps to see if I can get my name to appear as well.... thanks)