New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost VBA6.dll (Access 97)

Working on a Access 97 database and now when I click on button to perform a action, such as open a new form, save a record etc, receive a message stating unable to find VBA6.dll file. This suddenly happened from one day to the next. DeInstalled Access and reinstalled still same error. Any suggestions?
    Christine

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost VBA6.dll (Access 97)

Access 97 doesn't use the VBA6.dll, it uses VBA332.dll. Why would you have a reference set to VBA6.dll?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,
    I did not set a reference, these are button actions using the access macros Open Form, Close Form, Save Record etc. I have search computers here at work and none have a VBA6.dll file. As I said I closed the database one evening and opened the next day and received the error. Loaded up a backup version from 3 days prior and that also received the same error.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even if you didn't set a reference to VB6, it's still a good idea to check your references:
    <UL><LI>Open any module (standard module or code behind form or report).
    <LI>Select Tools/References...
    <LI>Ordinarily, in Access 97, the following libraries are checked:
    <UL><LI>Visual Basic for Applications.
    <LI>Microsoft Access 8.0 Object Library.
    <LI>Microsoft DAO x.x Object Library (x.x is the version you have installed).[/list]<LI>If you use ActiveX controls in your database, or do something with (for instance) Word or Excel in your database, other libraries might be checked.
    <LI>If you click on a reference, the corresponding file is displayed in the lower part of the window. If you see a checked reference to VBA6.dll, uncheck it. There is no good reason, AFAIK, to have a reference to VBA6.dll.
    <LI>If any references are marked MISSING, uncheck them.[/list]Regardless of the above, you can try to decompile/compile/compact your database. In case you don't know what decompile is, do a search for it on this Forum or the Microsoft Knowledgebase.

To decompile/compile/compact a database:
    <UL><LI>Select the Start menu (in Windows, not Access), then Run...
    <LI>Type

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSAccess.exe" "CatabaseFolderDatabase.mdb" /decompile

substituting the path and file name of your database. (There are ways to make this easier if you do it often; you'll find instructions if you do a search as mentioned above.)
    <LI>Now open the database.
    <LI>Open any module.
    <LI>Select Debug/Compile and Save All Modules.
    If you get a compile error, either there is something wrong with your code, or there is an invalid reference, or your database is seriously corrupt.
    <UL><LI>If there is an coding error, the offending instruction will be highlighted. Try to find out what is wrong, correct it and comile again.
    <LI>If there is an invalid reference, usually an innocent function like Left will not be recognized. Try to find and uncheck the invalid reference (see above).
    <LI>If you suspect that the database is corrupt, skip the rest and see below.[/list]<LI>Close the module and return to the Database Window.
    <LI>Select Tools/Database utilities/Compact database.[/list]If all else fails, your database might be corrupt. In that case, you can try creating a new empty database and import all database objects from the corrupt database. If you succeed, you'll have to set Startup options again, etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks

HansV
    thanks for this information, the database was corrupt, I was not bale to compile or compact the database. I did create a new database and it is now working correctly.

Many Thanks
    Christine