2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network printer problem...

Small business NT Server domain. One NT Server and three Win2k SP1 clients, same software installed on all three. Three users, all standard users on the domain, and administrators of thier own machines. All logging on fine.

Two printers.... both installed locally... on let's say PC2 and PC3. PC3 connected to the printer on PC2 with no problem via the "Add Printer" wizard.

BUT, PC1 can't install either of them. When in the "Add Printer" wizard, PC2 and PC3 show up, but neither will expand showing the printers. And PC2 same problem with the printer on PC3.

Any ideas?????????

Thanks

Re: Network printer problem...

What are the sharing settings on the printers?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi. I have each printer set with "Everyone" having full control.

Thanks

I don't have a Win2kPro with a local printer, so I can't experiment. However, in addition to the "permissions" settings you might also have to enable sharing and give the printer a short name before it will appear in the Network Neighborhood.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I think Jefferson is on the right track - a permissions issue of some kind.

You didn't state what kind of printers these were, but you could install JetDirect cards if they are HPs. That might not solve the problem either though, so I would use the process of elimination to narrow it down - perhaps installing a printer onto the problem child PC and seeing if it's accessible to the other workstations.

Are you applying any Group Policy Objects, either locally or on the domain controller?
    Are you certain that they are authenticating on the NT server?
    Can you see file shares on the affected workstations, or do the conditions persist?
    Are all the workstations in the same IP range and subnet?
    Are they in the same workgroup?

Lastly, please confirm that I understand the following correctly:

<UL><LI>DOMAIN CONTROLLER - NT Server 4.0 (Service pack level not stated) - Logs in to self
    <LI>PC 1 - Win2000 SP1, Logs into DC <font color=red>Cannot see printer list on PC 2 or PC 3</font color=red>
    <LI>PC 2 - Win2000 SP1, Logs into DC <font color=blue>Printer A installed locally,</font color=blue> Can install NETWORK Printer B
    <LI>PC 3 - Win2000 SP1, Logs into DC <font color=blue>Printer B installed locally,</font color=blue> Can install NETWORK Printer A[/list]
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your attention and efforts everyone. OK, i have a small update here too.

Firstly, the printers: the printer connected to PC3 is a LaserJet 4, and was not discovered by Win2K automatically, but did install once it was picked from the list. The printer connected to PC2 is a desklet 970 ? which was found automatically.

In addition, PC1 chose to find the Deskjet connected to PC2, but still will not find the LaserJet on PC3.

Mark, to confirm your understanding: PDC running NT Server SP6. And you are correct, ecept that PC1 can now see the printer on PC2.

As to your questions:

No group policies (yet). Would that help??

As for the authenticating, on inspection, interesting one that..... All PCs can see the share where all the company files are. BUT, only PC2 appears to be running the logon.bat script, as only that PC has a mapped drive under My Computer. The other two can browse to it and browse through it no problem and ope, modify and close files, but it is not shown as mapped. All users have the script under their user profile.

Running DHCP. Router/Gateway fixed at 192.168.0.1, NT Server fixed at 192.168.0.2, PCs issued with IP addresses between 192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.15. I have reserved a small range for future devices. All subnets 255.255.255.0 so that all seems fine. All can pind each other and see each other in Network Neighborhood.

All in the OFFICE domain.

I can see i need to invest in a small 2 port print server here, but can't think why 2 out of three are not running the script either.....