3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Norton Anti-Virus and Office Applications (Word 97/2k/XP)

Wondering if anyone has encountered problems using template based documents while using Norton Anti-virus's "office plug-in."

I have a user who is using the NAV from System Suite, is using the office plug-in which scans EVERY document, email or local, as it is loaded.

My word add-in for playwrighting is crashing upon document load.

a) seems to me overkill to be scanning local documents/templates at all.

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] seems odd there isn't a facility for creating an exception list.

c) seems odd that NAV is assuming ALL templates are suspect, even those installed in the user's template folder.

Wondering if anyone who uses NAV could comment. I don't have it, so can't debug -- and my user insists there's no way around this insistent scan of every document and every template every time.

Surely that can't be so.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Norton Anti-Virus and Office Applications (Word 97/2k/XP)

You're right: t'ain't so. The Symantec (Norton AV) web site has an article that directly answers your question.

Visit www.symantec.com and drill down through their support system. I found the following article with a little help from the site's search engine. I keyed in "Microsoft Office" and voila! You're looking for Symantec's document ID as shown below:

Product(s): Norton AntiVirus 2000, Norton AntiVirus 2001, Norton AntiVirus 2001 Professional Edition, Norton AntiVirus 2002, Norton AntiVirus 2002 Professional Edition
    Operating System(s): Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 95B, Windows XP
    Document ID: 1999091612160606
    Date Created: 09/16/99
    Last Modified: 05/21/2002

HTH.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the pointer. I don't think this is what the user wants.

He doesn't want to disabale the offfice add-in entirely.

I was hoping there was a way to exclude a specific file or a specific folder.

I find it hard to believe NAV assumes every office application is a virus. Seems like overkill to me.

-

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

NAV Does have the capability of excluding files from scans, but that's not the problem.

The NAV Office plug-in causes serious problems for macros, especially those using Automation. Just disable the plug-in and be done with it.

If AutoProtect causes a problem, that's a separate issue.

Indeed, the Office plug-in was included in NAV because, or so I have been told, there are apps that cannot work with AutoProtect enabled, so they added the plug-in.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Howard,

I agree 100% with your recommendation. Seems the best route is to turn off Office Plug-in and then do an Exclude for the template folders you know are safe (and the documents).

But this isn't for me -- I don't use NAV. It's for a user of one of my applications who insists he needs everything scanned always and doesn't want to disable Office Plug-in.

I've told him that auto-protect will do what he requires, but I haven't heard back.

Do you know what kind of office applications didn't work with Auto-Protect?

Thanks,