4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A2K/SQL Server (A2K/SQL 2K)

I have an issue for the SQL Server experts out there. I have imported a table to SQL Server 2000 from Access 2K. I have three time only date fields that I use. SQL Server will not import these fields without first converting them to "Text" in Access. I get this error: "Invalid character type for cast specification, data overflow". I have checked all of the dates to make sure that they are not out of range. Also, I have tried to convert the dates to different formats in Access but that has no effect.

Thanks,
    Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A2K/SQL Server (A2K/SQL 2K)

The problem is caused by SQL converting Access' DateTime field to a smalldatetime field, I think, rather than a datetime field. The smalldatetime only allows dates in the range January 1, 1900, to June 6, 2079 and an Access DateTime field with just a time in is dated 30th December 1899.

I don't know how to resolve this from within SQL. If the import is a one-off, exporting the data from Access should work OK - you should find that SQL server has already created you a table (albeit with smalldatetime fields where you want datetime) so you could use that table as a linked table. An alternative might be to use Access' upsizing wizard.

Simon.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A2K/SQL Server (A2K/SQL 2K)

How did you import it? Using DTS you should be able to instruct the engine to convert the date to datetime.
    Charlotte