2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

25% Options screen (WD97)

Hello all,

I have a user who opens in Word the Options screen and has two tabs (Track changes and Compatibility) where the text starts not at the upper left corner but at the centrer so it shows only 25% of the text and fields

Who have seen this and how to correct it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 25% Options screen (WD97)

I've had trouble with Tools/Options several times. Up to now I've been able to correct this by going into RegEdit and deleting the Settings value under

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordDat a

Be careful when editing the Registry! Export the Data key (from within RegEdit) before deleting anything. Then you can reload it if necessary.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Patrick:
    I agree with Hans. I've replaced my Data key about a dozen times. Here's some more detailed info on how to do it:
    The problem that the MRU doesn't update correctly tends to be a sign that the DATA key in the registry is corrupt. There are two other things to check first, since they are much easier to do.

I would try the following steps:

1. Back up all your options. Go to Tools/Options & make a change...any change. Go to Tools/AutoCorrect/Autoformat as you type tab & make a change. Now record a macro (name it, e.g. MyOptions) & then go to each of the tabs & change it back the way you want. Then stop the recording & save the macro in any template.

2. Back up the registry. (I don't, but everyone says to do this. Besides, I do a lot of things I later regret <G>.)

3. Close Word. Go to Start/Run & type REGEDIT. With Word 97, navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordDat a

OR, if you're using Word 2000, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordDat a

& either rename or delete the key. Restart Word & the key will be rebuilt. You will lose your customized options, but that's why you recorded a macro first. You can run the macro & restore your options easily.

There are five other changes that take place. Your standard & formatting toolbars will share one line. If you use these two toolbars & don't like that option, click Tools/Customize... & untick "Standard & Formatting Toolbars share one row". If you don't like to use clipit, you also have to press F1, choose Options, then the Option tab, & untick "Use the Office Assistant". The third change is that you lose all your MRU files on the Files menu & 4th is that you lose all your files on the Work menu. Lastly, all your non-global add-ins (the ones that aren't in the startup folder) are removed from Tools/Templates & add-ins.

What I've done is after I restore my Work menu & my Tools/Templates & add-ins, I go back to the registry, select the Data key, & export it. Hopefully, it's not corrupt at this point & I can restore it the next time it corrupts.

Cheers,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans and Phil,

We corrected the problem.
    Now I'm interessted in the origin of this problem, what is caussing it?
    That's maybe something we will never know.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Data key seems to be prone to corruption. It is a survivor from early versions of Word. If you inspect the Windows Registry with RegEdit, you will notice that most programs store their settings in the form of simple numeric or string entries - one setting is one entry. The Data key however, stores a lot of information in 2 values (Settings and Toolbars) in binary form. See Data Key Settings on the Word MVP site.