New Lounger
    Thanks

Define Context Menu Item Lost post Encarta 02 (Word XP SP-1)

Before upgrading to Encarta '02 from Encarta '01, in Word XP I could right click on a word to bring up the context menu item "Define". This looked up the word on an MS site. Can't recall which site. After installing Encarta '02, "Define" is no longer an option when I right-click on words in Word. I tried 'detect & repair' and re-applying SP-1, which said already installed. No luck. Any idea? Thanks - Jack Passarella

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Define Context Menu Item Lost post Encarta 02 (Word XP SP-1)

Learned elsewhere that Encarta 2002 removes this function that was available in Encarta 2001 for Word. But not before I cobbled together a macro to emulate this function. The tricky part was finding the web site Define would send me to, once I figured that out, it was a question of dusting off my atrophied VBA skills. I wrote a simple macro, customized toolbars to apply it to the Shortcut Menu for Text and it works like a charm. I haven't bullet-proofed the macro, but if you don't select a word before right-click Define, the word prior to the insertion point is selected; if you select more than one word, the first word in the selection is chosen for definition lookup. If the insertion point is in the middle of a word, THAT word is defined via the web site. So, for now, it's sturdy enough for my everyday use. Here's the macro for anyone who might need it:
    ---begin macro code---
    Sub DefineWord()
    'Will look up selected word's definition at online MSN dictionary
    Set defn = Selection.Words(1)
    ActiveDocument.FollowHyperlink Address:="http://dictionary.msn.com/find/entry.asp?search=" + defn, _
    NewWindow:=True, AddHistory:=True
    End Sub
    ---end macro code---