New Lounger
    Thanks

Wild Scrolling (97)

Well folks, I have been editing a long document. Lots of cutting and pasting. Selecting large blocks of text has become nightmarish. How can one control the cursor while in highlight mode from scrolling wildly downward. I try to cross a page break and end up at the end of a forty page document before I can even respond.

Thanks O Lords and Ladies of Word!!!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Wild Scrolling (97)

Try clicking on the first character of the range you want to copy and, instead of dragging the cursor down, click on or drag the scroll bar until the last character/para mark is visible. This gives much better contol over scrolling. Now hold down the shift key and click the mouse on that character/para mark, which highlights the range you wanted. Cut/copy as required.

Another way (there's so many ways of doing things) is to click on the first character of the range you want to copy and hold down the shift key while navigating with the page up/down and/or arrow keys. This shows what's being selected as you go.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Another way, which has been mentioned on the Lounge (it isn't my discovery but I try to remember very useful tips and this is one of them), is to use the EXTended selection feature. In about the middle of the Status bar is a button marked "EXT". Set your cursor at the beginning (or end) of where you want to start selecting from. Turn on EXT by double clicking the button or using F8 to turn on EXT. Now scroll to where you want the end of the selection (using whatever means you want) and click again. Now that you have your selection selected, turn off EXT mode (Escape or double clicking the EXT again. Do what you want with the text.

If you don't turn off EXT after the 2nd click, subsequent clicks will add or subtract from the selection, depending on where they are relative to the 2nd click.

There are other ways of selecting lots of text, depending on how your document is set up. For example, if you have headings and you want to move the entire text associated with a heading, Outline mode is very useful.

HTH

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a common complaint and is caused, primarily, by the increasing speed of our computers. The best solution I've found is to simply place the cursor at the beginning of the block you want to highlight then press the Shift key as you click at the end of the block you want to highlight. This will highlight the entire block.