Thread: Outlook 98

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 98

Does anyone know if and (hopefully) where Outlook 98 can be downloaded. It is long gone from the MS site. My old faithfull organiser runs on OL 97, can use OL 98, but not OL 2k. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 98

Tony, I do believe you are out of luck. OL98 was distributed freely after the debacle that was OL97, but once it was superseded by OL2000 and XP, finding it has been near impossible. It can't be downloaded (why give it to you when you can cough up for the whole schmeer), so unless you can find a copy of it on eBay or something similar, I believe it's going to be rough going. Keep in mind too, that the licensing may prohibit distribution beyond the original owner.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark, thanks for the feedback. I thought it would be a longshot - left it far too late. Being the cautious type as anyone reading my other posts will guess, I didn't start using Off97 and OL97 till mid 99! At some stage I'll have to update the Organiser which was discounted heavily as Off2000 appeared. Now that XP is well established maybe I can get a similar bargain. (Off topic - I recommend the REX credit card sized PDA, a real neat device.)
    BTW - If not used for email and only as an address book, calendar etc what is/was so bad about OL97? I'm just curious - I don't want to start a whole new thread on an historical issue.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>what is/was so bad about OL97?<hr>
    It was slow, piggish, not user friendly - but a step up from the uglier Exchange client at the time. I seem to recall that its poor performance was a big part of the reason 98 was released (although it also contained the forced installation of IE 4.0, so maybe it was just a convenient vehicle).
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Couldn't help but jump in on your "off topic" comment. I FINALLY got my Rex 6000 to work in Win XP Pro recently thanks to a combination of tips from this web site. Originally, the USB cradle would not install in Win XP Pro.

My Rex 6000 is the only reason I use Outlook 2000 for calendar and contacts!

Al

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As an addendum to the other replies, the book is probably out of print, but OL98 was included as part of the Microsoft Press book "Running Outlook 98" (not the "at-a-glance" book), about $US 50, so if you are desparate to get 98, see if you can find the book and CD combo someplace. I found it here in a cursory search of the net, please look further. However I'd instead recommend getting the "Running OL2000" book-&-CD combination if it's available. Good luck.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7±DS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have my CD that came with a MS book and it has had a LOT of use. I will NOT loan it out, I will go and help one to fix their 97 version. It is a KEEPER if you ever run accross a copy.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.