New Lounger
    Thanks

How to stop auto circ ref 'Assistance' (XL2k SR1)

(I might just have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, but ...)
    Does anyone know why:
    a) on-line help automatically appears when I create a circular reference, and
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] how to stop it happening?

Frequently, I will be mucking around in some scenario analysis and want to reverse a calculation. Depending on which way I start, I may get a circ ref that causes help to appear (eventually). I know what I'm doing, and don't need help to sort it out. The automatic help just slows me up. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Liam

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: How to stop auto circ ref 'Assistance' (XL2k SR1)

In Excel 97 you can stop this by going into Tools/Options/Calculation and checking the Iteration box and/or by turning off automatic recalc.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

That seems to work. Unfortunately it seems to disable circular reference error checking. That might be more than I intended to achieve. Any other thoughts?

Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

You could set up a macro for turning either or both of these features on/off and attach them to a button on the toolbar. That would give you easier/quicker access.

It's a bit of a tough ask, though, wanting circular reference error checking without wanting Excel to warn you when it finds them. Basically you'd need some event-driven macro code to trap the warning dialogue box and close it for you, presumably after leaving it on-screen just long enough to know one's occurred. That would still leave the messages on the status bar as a back-up warning. Beyond my abilities anyway...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to stop auto circ ref 'Assistance' (XL2k

A bit of a stale reponse, but alwasy remember that the error message on circular references is counter-intuitive. If you don't want help, you need to choose "Cancel" (not the default). The Circular Reference toolbar will pop up no matter what you do. HTH
    Gre