2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Non-Microsoft Active X Control (Office XP)

Hello,

I need to test some features in Excel and I've been told that I need to use a non-Microsoft ActiveX control, to place it in the Worksheet, save the file and open it again, etc...
    I'm a little bit lost, where can I find a non-Microsoft Activex control (any control) and place it in Excel? How do I do that? Anyone could help me please? I'm kind of desperate...

Thanks a lot!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non-Microsoft Active X Control (Office XP)

If the ActiveX control has been registered (officially installed) on you PC, you can do the following:

Display the Control Toolbox toolbar (View/Toolbars).
    The last button on this toolbar should be More Controls... Click it
    Find the ActiveX control in the list. Click it.
    Click in the worksheet. If the control is usable in Excel, it will appear. Otherwise, you'll get a message saying something like "Can't insert object".

If the ActiveX control is on your PC, but not registered, you have to know the exact path and file name.
    Proceed as above. In the list of ActiveX controls, select the last item. It should read something like "Register custom control".
    Now you'll have to look up the file and select it.

If this doesn't work, post back. Others will no doubt jump in to help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non-Microsoft Active X Control (Office XP)

The controls available on the Controls Toolbox toolbar are ActiveX controls. The controls available on the Forms toolbar are not ActiveX controls and so should be suitable if the required item is available.

To access these, go to Tools, Customize, and select the Toolbars tab. Look for Forms and make sure it is checked. You might like to un check the Control Toolbox (if it is checked) item so as to avoid confusion.

When you close the dialog box you should have a Forms toolbar from which you can select items (Buttons, Listboxes etc) and draw them on the worksheet.

Andrew C