5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Synchronizing Database (97sr2)

I am developing a database. Today I was thrown a monkey wrench, and I need your help. There are several (4-5) people who will be entering data into this database. They work on laptops, not connected to a network. They want to each use a laptop in the field, enter the data, and then once a week, plug into the network and have the network copy of the database be updated with their information - from 4-5 sources. Ahhhh! I have heard of synchronizing a database, but I have never done it before. How hard is it? What is involved? Where can I learn how to do this? Gulp.

I don't think I want to split the database and have tables linked to the network copy because then they would have to be connected to the network to enter data, right?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Synchronizing Database (97sr2)

Second part of the question. I have heard of making a replica of the database.
    In six months, we are going to move up to Office XP. How will this affect a replica created in Office 97?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Synchronizing Database (97sr2)

Do NOT replicate an unsplit database. You will go crazy trying to maintain it if you make any design changes to tables or queries. There are white papers on replication that you can get from the Microsoft site without much searching, and that's the best place to start. Look for information on replication and on briefcase, which was designed for use with laptops. It's part of Windows and is quite easy to use, but create your design master first and make sure that it is NOT the database those copies sync to on the server.

You replicate the back end of the database. The front end is local to each machine, laptop or otherwise. Syncing the replicas passes the data entered on the laptop back to the backend on the server and updates the laptop replica with the latest data from the server.
    Charlotte