New Lounger

HTML.WILL word problem (SR1)

In the past two days I have encoutered problems with Ms word in Office 97, I have lost the font size option, Word seems to default to greek each time on start up and also I get the message word could not load this add in program HTMLHTML.WLL Can somebody please help??

Uranium Lounger
    Los Angeles Area, California, USA

Re: HTML.WILL word problem (SR1)

I'm not sure of the exact problem(s) or solution(s), but have some suggestions, as it sounds like you might have a corrupt Data key. First, close everything & delete all your temp files & see what happens. Then:

There are two other things to check first, since they are much easier to do than delete the Data key.

I would try the following steps:

1. Close Word, rename to something like normal.old, & restart Word. If it cures it, then the normal template was bad. No luck, then...

2. Close Word. Go to Start/Run & type "winword.exe /a" (no quotes). If this cures it, it's an add-in. Close Word. Take everything out of the Startup folder & restart Word. In Win 98, without profiles, note that there are two startup folders when you have Office: one under C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftWordSTARTUP & one under C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeStartup. Then add things in one at a time (closing & restarting Word in between) until you isolate the problem. Still no luck, then...

3. Back up all your options. Go to Tools/Options & make a change...any change. Go to Tools/AutoCorrect/Autoformat as you type tab & make a change. Now record a macro (name it, e.g. MyOptions) & then go to each of the tabs & change it back the way you want. Then stop the recording & save the macro in any template.

4. Back up the registry. (I don't, but everyone says to do this. Besides, I do a lot of things I later regret <G>.)

5. Close Word. Go to Start/Run & type REGEDIT. With Word 97, navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordDat a

OR, if you're using Word 2000, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordDat a

& either rename or delete the key. Restart Word & the key will be rebuilt. You will lose your customized options, but that's why you recorded a macro first. You can run the macro & restore your options easily.

There are five other changes that take place. Your standard & formatting toolbars will share one line. If you use these two toolbars & don't like that option, click Tools/Customize... & untick "Standard & Formatting Toolbars share one row". If you don't like to use clipit, you also have to press F1, choose Options, then the Option tab, & untick "Use the Office Assistant". The third change is that you lose. all your MRU files on the Files menu & 4th is that you lose all your files on the Work menu. Lastly, all your non-global add-ins (the ones that aren't in the startup folder) are removed from Tools/Templates & add-ins.

What I've done is after I restore my Work menu & my Tools/Templates & add-ins, I go back to the registry, select the Data key, & export it. Hopefully, it's not corrupt at this point & I can restore it the next time it corrupts.

Hope this helps.