New Lounger
    Thanks

'The page cannot be displayed' (6.0)

Ever since I updated to IE 6.0 I run accross the occational website that gives me this error. I have DSL. Now I know it happens. But when I use my other computer which runs AOL and is a dial-up connection has no problem bringing these websites up, slowly, but up. A sample site would be - http://www.ssa.gov/.
    Is there an option or two turned that should be off or off that should be on?
    Thanks,

Kalyceso

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'The page cannot be displayed' (6.0)

Hi Kalyceso:
    Perhaps one of these FAQs will help. See
    Frequently Asked Questions About Page Cannot Be Displayed Errors in Internet Explorer

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil, but I had hoped not to muck around with the registry. If anyone else has solved this problem in another way I hope to hear from them.

Kalyceso

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kalyceso:
    I'm not sure I understand. None of the solutions in the FAQs involve editing the registry. Did you go through the troubleshooting steps?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I now have that page bookmarked and barring a registry change I have done what I can. I have Windows 2000 and am using the IE6 that comes with it fresh on my hard drive. (I thought it was an upgrade, I did download the IE tools update, how it is used I have no clue) I am mostly baffled by the fact that it is only a few sites or pages of those sites. I am not down just miffed and not amused.
    Http://www.ssa.gov says it is openning the page and progresses slowly like it will time out but then gives the error. All other gov sites are fine. It is just this one. What could be different about it?

Kalyceso