New Lounger
    Thanks

Archiving Contacts

Using Out2000 W 98. I archived Personal Folders including Contacts and Tasks. When I imported the pst file into a newly installed Outlook I got all the email but no Tasks and Contacts. What happened to them and how do I get them back? No error mess. or other problems.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Archiving Contacts

Try the import again and check that all the folders are ticked
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

don't import, just open the pst in outlook. you loose a lot of hidden settings if you import

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What hidden settings are lost? Do you have a white page or something on this problem in Outlook. I too am having the same problem - have a user who archives constantly, but we recently found out he's archiving to 3 different archive.pst accidentally. In order to correct problem and make sure that he 1.) has all his old email and 2.) is archiving to ONE place, I figured the best thing to do would be import all archived folders back into Outlook then RE-archive to one archive.pst folder. However, when I import the archive.pst folder, it's only importing Sent Items, Inbox and Calendar. None of his other 30+ sub-Inbox folders. Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

views & journal links are the major loss.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any idea why I wouldn't be able to import subfolders that the user had created?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure they were exported? In OL2K the wizard has a checkbox, off by default, to include subfolders.

We've had mixed results with export/import too, and have decided to open the files directly, then drag items hither and yon. We don't allow users to keep their archive folders open all the time though because we use auto-archive, and I'm a little leery of what might happen.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all the posts. I tried all the suggestions and did not recover the two hidden folders. We found the bulk of the missing contacts from another user and I have simply decided to make sure Contacts is archived separately from now on. I also now export it when backups are necessary. I have learned yet again that no feature in an Office product is dependable until tested in the appropriate environment. Life is just like that!