Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

won't print grouped graphic (Word 97 SR2, Win NT)

Here is what is happening:
    [snipped]...
    She captures a screen from a web based application, pastes it into a Word file and crops it. She places the cropped image in a Drawing Object box (Note from Renee: to give it a box or frame) and groups them. She then copies the grouped image and pastes it to her documentation. You can see the image and document fine on the screen but when you print it, the image is not displayed.

I can open the same document and print it with the same results (no image). But, if I open the document ungroup and regroup her image it works fine. In fact, she can then open it and print it with no problem.

Now more from Renee: everyone who gets the file has the same problem. Another person who does the same thing on her computer doesn't have this problem. We have a) rebooted, [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] re-installed Office c) looked at all the settings (tools/options). Also, one other really weird thing. If you rt. click and go to format object if you try to change tabs you get this error: The measurement must be between -22" and 22". Even though the size is about 2.24 and 3.00. Thanks for your help as I am totally clueless at this point. P.S. If anyone wants to see the file, I'll be happy to send it to you. - R

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: won't print grouped graphic (Word 97 SR2, Win NT)

Renee,

Would you be able to attach a ('sanitized' if necessary) copy of the document to a post here?

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

Gary I will. I'll have to do it tomorrow from work where the document is and I can assure you it's "sanitized" ... our virus checker is scrupulous however, I'll run it thru the v-scan again anyway. Thanks so much for taking a look at this. It's making us nuts. She had Office re-installed again today and it's still doing it. - Renee

Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the file. It shouldn't print for anyone unless they ungroup it (you CAN group it back and it will still print) - Renee
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe its me, but I can't see a graphic at all.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart, well I just opened the attachment from home where i have office 2000 and running xp (os) and you're right! I can't see the graphic either. Guess this will have to wait until Monday when I get back to work where the original file is. I opened it before I attached it and printed it and it had a graphic and it didn't print. Sigh... hope everyone has a great weekend- Renee

Lounger
    Thanks

ok, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm at work. I have the file on my computer, when I open it the graphic is in there. at home and as Stuart said, you can't see the graphic. So either this document is so corrupt it makes a politician look angelic or I uploaded it wrong. I did look in the FAQ didn't see anything that indicated I was doing anything wrong. So we might just have to chalk this up to "one those bugs" - Renee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW: When I download and open the attachment, the screenshot is displayed on screen and prints correctly. I use: Windows NT4.0 SP6 (English), Word 97 SR2 (Dutch), HP LaserJet 5/5M Postscript.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, did you see a solid screen w/blue writing? That was inside the left table. Renee it is the weirdest thing!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is what it looks like on my screen. Note that the picture is shifted w/r to the table cell. The printout looks essentially the same (but in black and white)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

When I opened the file on a Win95 machine with Word 97SR2, the graphic was invisible - so I couldn't even select it.

I was able to identify and select it with macros though. I then cut the selected (though still invisible) graphic and pasted it back into the document and voila! - a graphic grouped with a rectangular autoshape. It seems that somehow the grouped objects (graphic & autoshape) are disappearing behind the table, but not on every platform. Part of the problem may relate to the order of the various elements - I noticed, for example, that the autoshape is positioned in front of the picture instead of behind it.

Anyway, the simple solution might be to cut and re-paste the grouped objects. In case it's of any use, here are the macros that I used on the original document (I'd already coded the first one for another purpose).

Sub FindShapes()
    If ActiveDocument.Shapes.Count > 0 Then
    For Each Shp In ActiveDocument.Shapes
    ShapeNames = ShapeNames & Shp.Name & vbCr
    Next Shp
    MsgBox "Found Shapes:" & vbCr & ShapeNames
    End If
    End Sub

Sub GetGroup()
    ActiveDocument.Shapes("Group 590").Select
    End Sub
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks

this is driving me nuts ;-). Well, I work for a mental hosptial I guess i could check myself in ;-). Would you do me another favor... right click on the object and go to format object and see if you can switch the tabs... like to go to size and see if you get this error about size must be between -2 and 220? Don't know what that means but just curious - Renee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Renee,

I can't switch to the Size tab either, unless I ungroup the object first.

Regards,
    Hans

Lounger
    Thanks

Macropod, I tried endlessly to bring to front/to send to back, because that was my first thought. Interesting that you did find that happening. The other interesting thing is that another person on different machine is doing the same thing and she has no problem. I've not asked, but I assume (right never assume) anything they have checked for viruses. Otherwise, I still remain clueless, but appreciate ALL of your help!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Had another look and found (this time using Word 2000 on Win 98SE) that the groups didn't show there either. However, after ungrouping the objects and re-selecting them individually, I found that if I used the drawing toolbar and selected Draw|Text Wrapping|Edit Wrap Points they would pop back into view. Again, I had to select the objects via a macro first - the picture is "Picture 591" and the autoshape is "AutoShape 592". Also of interest is that, after doing this, the cryptic message about the +/-22 ins goes away, even though the only thing I had done was to re-position the objects - I didn't actually do any wrap point editing.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast