New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing Data from Excel (Access2000)

I download an ASP file from the web. Open it in Excel2000 and save it as an XLS file. Then I go into Access and File> Get External Data> Import and import the XLS file. I get an error that tells me that the entire files was not imported and an error log. The 3 fields in the error log refer to the Excel column ShipToZipCode and point to 3 cells that all contain zip+4 data, 12345-6789. Those cells do not import at all, the other 311 cells that contain straight zip5 data, 12345, all import perfectly. Also there is a ShipFromZipCode column that currently contains only zip5 data. If I change cells in that column to zip+4, they import perfectly. The error code in the error log is "Type Conversion Failure". I looked it up on MS TechNet and that didn't do anygood. I've formatted the entire Excel column as General with the same results. HELP!

BuckeyeDave

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Data from Excel (Access2000)

Rather than format that offending column as General, how about formatting as Text? I don't think Access looks at all the data in a column before deciding if it is text or numeric; it may only look at a certain # of cells and then decide from there.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Data from Excel (Access2000)

Our hope is that we won't have to do any reformatting at all, although we can probably record a macro to do the trick. We enter address information into the website of a large, brown parcel delivery service. They donn't provide the reports we need so they allow us to download the data as an ASP file. We want to automate a process that will allow us to convert it to Excel, Import it into Access, then use it to create our own reports. It looks like the root problem is that in the conversion from ASP to XLS, the hyphen in the zip+4, causes Excel to tag only a few cells as numeric rather than text. But then, there is another column, set up the exact same way that doesn't cause the same problem. Hmmm.