New Lounger
    Thanks

Disabling change tracking in headers/footers (wood 2002/2000)

Does anybody know if you can disable change tracking for header/footer contents? I am using styleref commands to generate chapter/title references in the page headers, this seems to really confuse word. I have tried accepting all changes, rejecting all changes, but every time I turn on change tracking the same 'changes' are marked even though the header information has not change.
    Thanks for any help!!!

Thanks

Re: Disabling change tracking in headers/footers (wood 2002/2000)

You can't stop Word from updating fields in the header and footer when a document is opened or previewed or printed. (There might even be other times!) Almost certainly that is the cause of the "change." If you turn off track changes before closing the doc and turn it back on after the header/footer are updated, that might resolve part of the problem...

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Disabling change tracking in headers/footers (wood 2002/2000)

I've also found that merely switching change-tracking on can be enough to "update" page Nos. & dates in footers, and some paras in the text. What I usually do when this happens is click undo immediately after switching change-tracking on. You may also need to make sure it's off when doing page previews, printing etc, just so as to avoid Word's 'helpful' updates.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]