Star Lounger
    Thanks

Single file >95MB? (Word97 SR2)

Hi everyone
    I'm working on 12 chapters in separate files covering about 300 pages with many graphics. Total of all files is almost 100 MB. It would be so convenient to work on a single file with Sections. BUT, will Word fall over or screw up if I do this? Thanks for any thoughts or warnings.
    DaveH

Thanks

Re: Single file >95MB? (Word97 SR2)

Microsoft is rather vague about this in WD97: Operating Parameter Limitations and Specifications (Q168804): "The maximum file size is limited to 32 MB for the total document text only and does not include graphics regardless of how the graphic is inserted (Link to file, Save with document, or Float over text) into the document. Therefore, if the file contains graphics, the maximum file size can be larger than 32 MB."

I think Word could open it but I would expect it to be very sluggish. What happens if you open all 12 files at once? That should give you a reasonable idea about whether Word can handle it given the amount of RAM, your processor speed, disk fragmentation, etc.

Separate files should provide better performance, better fault tolerance in the event some embedded object becomes corrupted or your text presses up against the 32MB limit, and the ability to more easily look in three or more places at once. Unless it's a REAL drag, you're probably better off as you are now.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Single file >95MB? (Word97 SR2)

Many thanks. I'm going to stay with the separate chapters. However, feeling mischievous, I created a quick and dirty compilation of all chapters, an 86 MB file. Nothing unusual happened and the graphics display normally. Save time is about 20 sec (at least 8 MB of disk space available). I appreciate your lightning reply. DaveH