New Lounger
    Thanks

IE crashes when I try to type a URL (6)

One of my users complained that if he opens up IE and tries to type in a URL, IE crashes. So I went to his computer, opened up IE, erased everything in the address bar and typed "w". At this point IE hung and after a few seconds asked me if I wanted to send an error report to MS.
    So I reinstalled Win2k SP2 and updated his IE 5.5 to IE 6 and tried again. Same problem. Event Viewer logged Event ID 1001 saying IE probably didn't have the correct registry entries or DLL. Anyone know a fix for this, besides reinstalling Windows I mean?
    His system is configured like this:
    Toshiba Sat Pro 4600 series
    Windows 2000 Pro SP2
    IE 6 (was IE 5.5)
    Lots of HD space and memory

Also when I tried to type in an address in Windows Explorer on this system, it crashed.

Thanks!
    Dave

Thanks

Re: IE crashes when I try to type a URL (6)

If I type a w into either of those places, the drop down immediately opens and shows historical information. Maybe there is a hang-up in accessing the browser history? That doesn't mean I have any idea how to fix it, but maybe it will inspire you or someone else.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... In IE, that would be a function of "AutoComplete". I suspect the overlap of IE and Explorer causes the same error to occur in both, And, in fact, typing a 'w' in Explorer gets me the same AutoComplete list as in IE.

Let me run some tests...

OK, just trying to figure out what happens when Explorer creates the drop down list:

1) It accesses HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{3C374A40-BAE4-11CF-BF7D-00AA006946EE} -- which is the "Microsoft Url History Service". That makes sense. I would suspect the "Url History Service" to play a role in this.

2) It finds out that this is controlled by C:WindowsSystemshdocvw.dll.

3) It goes to HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerTypedURLs -- but strangely it does NOT seem to use those!!

4) Then it scans through a bunch of System objects -- MyDocuments, Favorites, etc.

This still does NOT tell me how this works. More work to be done. Sorry. These "AutoComplete' items are usually stored in the "Protected Storage System" in the registry as encrypted entries. Perhaps the problem lies there?? That is controlled by the mysterious pstores.exe file...
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

The AutoComplete function is actually quite complicated and it covers a lot more ground than I initially expected! Disabling pstores.exe certainly is not effective at preventing AutoComplete from functioning.

Still, your problem SOUNDS like it is an AutoComplete failure. Perhaps a Repair of IE is all that is needed?? Or perhaps an overlay reinstall of IE?

Do you have any more specific information on the error messages -- such as the exact missing DLL or registry entries? An image of the message could also be helpful.

To learn more about the extensive range of AutoComplete, check out this.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses! I was able to figure the dumb problem out. Turns out the problem DLL was Wbhook32.dll which isn't even apart of IE. It is apart of McAfee. This file got corrupt and was causing the problems. I have McAfee set to scan the stuff my users download from the web, so I assume this DLL "hooks" into IE. To solve the problem I simply copied the file from a working computer to the non-working computer. Everything works as it should now.

Thanks again!
    Dave

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the follow up! Glad to hear the problem is gone. :-]

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...sorry to join in, but my advice to you would be to ditch McAfee forthwith and either invest in a decent scanner or get the freeware AVG. Unfortunately, in my experience this program is an interfering nuisance. I'm willing to bet top-dollar it won't be the last intrusive and annoying thing it does to your system.