New Lounger
    Thanks

XP is suddenly slow (SR-1)

My Vaio XP system has suddenly slowed down to glacial speeds. Program launches take 1-5 mins. Once a program is launched, it works normally, but system stuff (control panels,etc) take a very long time to respond. No known system changes to correlate with the change. Done scandisk and defrag to no avail.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: XP is suddenly slow (SR-1)

Provide a list of ALL applications and Processes running and then we may be able to help. Check the "Windows Task Manager" for this list.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I checked the Task Manager. The culprit process is PC-cillin. When set to real time scan, the system actions become glacial. What is not clear now is whether this is due to some change in PC-cillin. I think I have always been doing real time scans, and in the past computer performance has been fine.

But is good to have my computer operating normally again. Thanks for the pointer.

Lounger
    Thanks

Is this with PC-cillin 2000 or Trend's new version of PC-cillin 2002?

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is occurring with PC-cillin 2000. I haven't tried PC-cillin 2002. I will have to look into this.

Lounger
    Thanks

Otherwise double-click on the little PC-cillin icon in the lower right-hand corner of your screen and get an update from the Internet. We always know that pattern and scan engine updates come from the Internet but sometimes Trend will sneak the occasional program update too. These program updates come out for a reason (to fix problems like the one you're having with XP). Why not try running a PC-cillin 2000 update before upgrading to 2002? See ya.