Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OPening MS Works 4.0 Files

In a previous post I questioned how to open MS Works files that were created with MS Works 4.0 using Excel 2000. I was told there was a converter on the Office 2000 CD that would allow this. There was a converter and I installed it. MS Works 4.0 still did not show up as a supported file type. The originator of the files converted them to MS Works 2.0 compatible files. They then opened in Excel 2000 with absolutely no problem what so ever.

Does anyone have any idea why the installation of MS Works 4.0 converter did nothing to help me open these files? Is there anything I can do to have MS Works 4.0 files open when I receive new ones from this person who creates them? Did I miss a step somewhere after installing the converter? Was I supposed to something after the installation said it was complete? MS Works 4.0 does not show up in the "Files Of Type" drop down dialogue box even though it said it was successfully installed.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OPening MS Works 4.0 Files

I believe the Works 4.0 converter only works for Word, not for Excel.

Microsoft explicitly states that Excel 2000 can't open Works 3.0 or 4.0 spreadheets in Q214048:
    <hr>Even though no version information is mentioned, Excel can only open Microsoft Works files that are saved in the Microsoft Works 2.0 (or earlier) format. You cannot open Microsoft Works 3.0 or 4.0 files directly in Excel.<hr>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OPening MS Works 4.0 Files

HavsV,

Thanks very much. That has been driving me crazy trying to figure out if something went wrong with the installation of the converter.
    H Lewton