New Lounger
    Thanks

works upgrade (win98)

My new computer arrived a couple of days ago (hooray!). For the first time ever, I ordered a computer with nothing on it---no OS, no nuthin'---so I bought and installed a full version of Windows 98SE. Now I want to install Office. However, my MS Office CD is an upgrade, not a full version.
    I suppose my best bet is to find a cheap copy of MS Works Suite, install it, and then upgrade from that. (Works is what I upgraded from last time.) I've done a little looking and the earliest Works Suite version I see is 2000, but I have Office 97. Can I upgrade to an old Office version from a newer Works version? In other words, is Works fully backward compatible?
    Next question is what is the trick to upgrading from Works to Office? I remember that there's some little undocumented thing I had to do to get the upgrade to work, but i don't remember what.
    Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    Maryann

Thanks

Re: works upgrade (win98)

Eligibility for the Office 97 upgrade version(s) is summarized in Top Ten Office 97 Setup Tips:

In order to use the upgrade version, you must have an earlier version of Microsoft Office or a competitive product that Microsoft has designated as a qualifying product. The qualifying products are:

Office Suites
    <UL><LI>Microsoft Office (all versions for Microsoft Windows and Windows NT)
    <LI>Microsoft Works (all versions for Windows)[/list]Word Processors
    <UL><LI>Microsoft Word for MS-DOS (2.0 or later)
    <LI>Microsoft Word for Windows (all versions for Windows and Windows NT Workstation)
    <LI>WordPerfect for MS-DOS (4.0 to 5.1)
    <LI>WordPerfect for Windows (5.1 to 6.0)[/list]Spreadsheets
    <UL><LI>Microsoft Excel for Windows (all versions for Windows and Windows NT Workstation)
    <LI>Microsoft Multiplan, all versions
    <LI>Lotus 1-2-3 for MS-DOS (2.01 to 3.4)
    <LI>Lotus 1-2-3 for Windows (1.0 to 4.01)[/list]Presentation Graphics
    <UL><LI>PowerPoint for Windows (2.0 or later)[/list]Scheduling
    <UL><LI>Microsoft Schedule+ (7.0)[/list]Project Management
    <UL><LI>Microsoft Project (1.0 or later)[/list]Databases
    <UL><LI>Microsoft Access (1.0 or later)
    <LI>Microsoft FoxPro for MS-DOS (2.0 or later)
    <LI>Microsoft FoxPro for Windows (2.5 or later)
    <LI>Microsoft Visual FoxPro for Windows (3.0)[/list]What I guess this does not answer is whether "earlier version" should be taken literally, or not. At least you have a lot of choices, unlike XP. Maybe you can pick up an old version of Lotus 1-2.3 for a couple of bucks at a used bookstore?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: works upgrade (win98)

The outcome:
    I found a version 4.5 of MSWorks, loaded it, then loaded my Office97 upgrade CD. It worked! The upgrade was completely straightforward---no tricks.